Rent, Utilities Can new landlord suddenly start charging me for parking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LArenter

I live in a rent controlled apartment in the city of Los Angeles, CA. The building was sold recently, resulting in new management and a multitude of rent increases. They are now attempting to charge me additional monthly rent for my assigned parking space. I received a "change in terms of tenancy" notice increasing my parking rent from $0 to $100 /month effective 30 days from the date the notice was posted on my apartment door. I also received a notice that the parking lot is leased and request that I sign a new parking lease. I have parked in my space since I moved in to the building and the old manager gave me the parking gate opener/assigned my space number. The original lease states that owner pays all utilities but parking isn't specifically mentioned.

Are you month to month? If so you might be on the hook for new fees. If you are not then the new fees should not apply until your lease expires.
The landlord can raise rent and impose fees but must follow proper procedure in providing notice.
That said, being rent controlled there may be some exception.

You might run it by a lawyer with complete details to see what he/she says.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back