Can my step mother sue me after my father dies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Igb2htalmh

My father and step mother own a home on a large parcel. They took out a personal loan using the house as collateral and are living off of the money. They have a signed agreement stating they will split specific expenses like utilities, care giving, insurance, gas etc. My step mother says my father is not paying his fair share and she can sue me and my sister when he dies. Can she sue us?

Thank you!

Have you signed anything acknowledging that you will be responsible for his debts?

No. But when the house is sold the proceeds will pay off the loan. My sister and I will inherit 50% of all the land and the house when my father dies.

mightymoose - can the stepmom sue the estate any more successfully?

I'm not sure how that would pan out, but due to their marriage I believe his debt is essentially her debt. His costs should be taken care of one way or another when he dies, but that may hinge on her willingness to sell the house. If stepmom is left with part of the debt when the estate is settled I believe that is her responsibility, not the kids.

Anyone can bring a lawsuit.
You have no legal duty to care for your father.
Your stepmother can sue, but won't prevail.
Your dad is her husband.
If he won't pay her, which I might add he isn't required to pay her a nickel, that's her problem.
So, sit back, remain calm, don't respond to her threats, except to say, "You are entitled to do whatever the law allows you to do. Now, have a great day, dearie!"

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back