Can my landlord change the due date for my rent?

Paige

Jurisdiction
Pennsylvania
I have a yearly lease with my landlord. My previous landlord sold the property. The new landlords are trying to change my rent due date to the 10th even though my lease says the 20th. I did tell them my lease says the 20th. I did not sign a new lease. Are they legally allowed to do this? Can they evict me for not paying rent if they're breaking my lease? Or is the lease completely void since new property owners took over? Thanks in advance

You landlord likely can change the due date with proper notice. This isn't much different than how an increase in rent would be handled.
If you have lived there more than a year you might also investigate whether your lease became month to month after the first year ended.

Anyway, check your lease to see what it says about notice for any modifications. The landlord can do this. It just has to be done properly.

You landlord likely can change the due date with proper notice. This isn't much different than how an increase in rent would be handled.
If you have lived there more than a year you might also investigate whether your lease became month to month after the first year ended.

Anyway, check your lease to see what it says about notice for any modifications. The landlord can do this. It just has to be done properly.
No...no...no. If not allowed for in the (yearly) lease that the OP has, then the change is not allowed during the term of that lease. That applies to both rent and the due date.

I guess...technically...you're right. The LL can notify the OP now that beginning with the new lease, the due date will change...but that's not what you meant now, is it?

It is precisely what I meant, and what I said. It must be done properly, and the lease likely indicates when and how changes can be made. Signing a new lease with a new due date is not necessary.
It also depends on whether it is still yearly or has at sometime since become month to month. In my experience many people seem to presume yearly leases renew automatically for a another year, which may not be true.

Back