Can my husband throw me out of the house?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoe2009

My jurisdiction is: California

My husband and I have been married 2 years. During the first year we lived with his parents in their house. We separated a year ago and he stayed at their house. Now his parents bought another house and let him rent their old house from him. I have been scraping by for a year finantially and I was laid off from my job 3 weeks ago. Unable to pay my rent at my apartment, and as our marriage has got to the worst points imaginable, I needed a place to stay for the meantime. He allowed me to move in with him and I paid him 200 rent for this month. He's gone out 3 times not informing me, until the early hours of the morning, changes his stories, is paranoid about what I am doing at all times, even though we agreed divorce is the best course of action. Yesterday he threatened me for the second time that I have a week to find another place and I have no money! Help! Can he legally throw me out even he just rents his parents house?

My jurisdiction is: California

My husband and I have been married 2 years. During the first year we lived with his parents in their house. We separated a year ago and he stayed at their house. Now his parents bought another house and let him rent their old house from him. I have been scraping by for a year finantially and I was laid off from my job 3 weeks ago. Unable to pay my rent at my apartment, and as our marriage has got to the worst points imaginable, I needed a place to stay for the meantime. He allowed me to move in with him and I paid him 200 rent for this month. He's gone out 3 times not informing me, until the early hours of the morning, changes his stories, is paranoid about what I am doing at all times, even though we agreed divorce is the best course of action. Yesterday he threatened me for the second time that I have a week to find another place and I have no money! Help! Can he legally throw me out even he just rents his parents house?

I'm not familiar with eviction laws. I don't think you can claim the house as your marital residence since you've been separated for a year and only moved back for a month as a renter.

IMO, your best course of action is to find a place you can afford and file for divorce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back