can my grandmother take my car?

kmccullough

Jurisdiction
South Carolina
I made an oral agreement with my grandma to buy a car from her for $2000. She put a $500 lien on the title. I pay $100 a month but around the first she starts threatening me to take my car from me if I Dont pay and there's nothing I can do about it. I'm not behind she just wants the money first thing on the first but I work so its always that evening so she starts saying I'm gonna come take your car if you Dont have the money. Can she legally take my car from me. I only owe $600 from the total $2000 but that title lean of $500 is well paid for.

Why not just give her the money the day before if you know you are going to be working on the 1st? Simple solution.

Is her name still on the title?

I made an oral agreement with my grandma to buy a car from her for $2000. She put a $500 lien on the title. I pay $100 a month but around the first she starts threatening me to take my car from me if I Dont pay and there's nothing I can do about it. I'm not behind she just wants the money first thing on the first but I work so its always that evening so she starts saying I'm gonna come take your car if you Dont have the money. Can she legally take my car from me. I only owe $600 from the total $2000 but that title lean of $500 is well paid for.

Never seek LEGAL solutions to issues among relatives.
If you do, you'll be voted out of the tribe.
As suggested, pay her a day early, or get her to agree to you paying on the 2nd, and be sure to always keep your word.

Don't waste time fretting about what's legal with the people who do favors for your benefit.

No, its probably not legal if she were to come and just snatch yoru car.

On the other hand, its probably not illegal, either.

You've almost paid off the amount owed.

Just finish paying off the remaining $600, and the issue will be cured.

The main problem is that you have an or agreement with someone who is apparently not happy with the situation. I agree with the others, pay on time, pay it off and lesson learned. When you make the final payment, make sure Grandma gives you the title with the lien released and you go take it to the DMV immediately and have the lien officially removed.

Ditto that last comment.... be absolutely sure you get the title signed over to you when you make the final payment. Until the title is in your name it is not your car.
Grandma does have a lot of control here. If it is currently in her name she can likely take it. Pay her on time as agreed and there won't be a problem.

It isn't in Grandma's name, Grandma has a lien on the title. Legally Grandma would have to follow the rules regarding repossession.

Back