Can landlord limit visitors durin the day

S

Susan000000

Jurisdiction
California
Can my landlord tell me who can come over during the day and for how long when the visitor hasn't done anything wrong?

My landlord told me that I need to limit the amount of time my son and his girlfriend spend at my house. I have asked if they have done anything wrong and he said no. He just doesn't like the amount of time they spend at my house. Granted they are there almost all day every day. But is that his business? He said he doesn't like that they act like my place is their own while I'm at work. He would like for them to not be there so much when I am at work. I feel like what difference does it make when they are not doing anything wrong.

I have this statement in writing. As well as the fact that I am a great tenant. But the more I think about this I get mad. I love my familiy and want to make them feel welcome. Is this legal? He called them kids even though they are 22 and 25. So I think that it has to do with their age. Is this age discrimination? I don't think he would have a problem with one of my neighbors having an elderly familiy member there all day every day.

I have mentioned in the past that my son is bipolar. Maybe he has something against mentally ill people.

I am pretty sure this is illegal. Invading my right to peaceful enjoyment of the property I rent. I am a nervous wreck everytime they are here because i feel like I am watched and reported on. It's a shame because i liked living here until now and I thought my landlord was nice. But this is controlling.

What can I do? If i complain can he just turn around and evict me for something else? Or just say he wants the property back with 30 days notice? One year lease was up two years ago. I know i can move but why should I pay more money somewhere else. If I complain then he raises my rent or evicts me can I sue. Can I sue if I stay here and comply for a few months then move? Is this a case a lawyer would take? I am not really the kind of person that sues but it makes me mad that people get away with this kind of stuff by making you feel like you are going to lose your home.

What can I do? If i complain can he just turn around and evict me for something else? Or just say he wants the property back with 30 days notice?

You answered your own post.

If you complain, you'll probably be asked to leave, following the laws in your state.

Make your life easy, find another place ASAP.
Why?

Because unless you're FILTHY rich, you lack the resources to fight your LL.

Army Judge is right. On a "tenancy at will" you are subject to termination of tenancy with 60 days notice since you've lived there more than a year.

California civil code 1946.1:

California Civil Code Section 1946.1 - California Attorney Resources - California Laws

It can be for any reason or no reason. Since the "kids" are adults there isn't any discrimination involved.

That being said, if it was me, I would tell the ahole that the "kids" were going to visit whenever they damned well please and stay as long as they damned well please and he could go ef himself and if he wanted to give you the statutory 60 day notice you'll be happy to leave him with an empty unit at the end of the 60 days.

Bullies often back off when you face them down.

Sounds like these "kids" are acting like de-facto tenants but are not on the lease. It is not at all unusual for landlords to take issue with adult tenants who are not on the lease. If they are spending that much time at your place, that sounds like what this is. It is unclear why else adults would spend all day, every day at your place when you are not even there.

Sounds like these "kids" are acting like de-facto tenants but are not on the lease. It is not at all unusual for landlords to take issue with adult tenants who are not on the lease. If they are spending that much time at your place, that sounds like what this is. It is unclear why else adults would spend all day, every day at your place when you are not even there.

ElleMD

I asked for legal advise. If it was legal and what could be done about it if it was not legal. Not your moral judgement. I can defiantly tell your bias in your answer.

There are many different reasons why they spend so much time at my house. His girlfriend does cleaning for me and i pay her. My son does my lawns for me because he loves me. They let my dog out a couple times a day. I have been a single parent for so many years that I like my kids around a lot. So we eat dinner together. We watch television shows together. I have had two surgeries in the past four months. One for cancer and one because they thought I had a different type of cancer. So we appreciate each other more. They like my house because i have cable and air conditioning. They use my internet for school. My point is that they are not bothering anyone. They don't cause any problems. They are always respectful. They are not out on the porch drinking beer. I don't get this mentality about nit picking.

I simply wanted legal advice. Is there any way to call him on his bs and still protect myself. Sometimes you have to fight for what is right.

I bet if your landlord tried to tell you who, what, and for how long, then you would have a problem with that. How about if the city told you how long your friends could stay at your owned home? It's the same for me. I do my part about paying rent on time, keeping property clean, no disturbing others. I expect to be treated with dignity and respect.

There are many different reasons why they spend so much time at my house.

Doesn't matter why they spend so much time there. If they are just visiting and not living there, the LL has no right to say anything about how much time they spend with you.

But he does have the right to terminate your tenancy with 60 days notice if he doesn't like it. Sorry, but there is no legal protection for you against that.

You might as well get the satisfaction of telling him off.

Last edited:
Susan, have you tried explaining your unique situation to your LL?
Your health issues are certainly difficult for you, but even the most hard hearted bullies do possess some compassion.
Try reasoning with him/her.
Tell him your time could be limited, as your candle might be burning down.
The presence of your family comforts you, helps you heal, helps you try to hang on.
Tell her/him you'll do your best to keep things quiet, because all you seek is peace, calm, and solitude as you reflect on the time you might have left.

The last thing I tell my clients is not to threaten legal remedies, or try to out bully a bully.

In your delicate condition, I'm sure you don't want conflict, either.

You might be surprised what you get if you go hat in hand, head bowed, and approach another person with kindness, asking for forbearance.

Please try it, and let us know how it was received.

You'll be surprised how quickly meanness can turn to kindness.

Legally, yes, if it appears there are adults living there off lease, it is a problem. Your lease might even contain a clause regarding this.

Back