Arrest, Search, Seizure, Warrant Can impound keep your car once you have release papers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thejokester43

Ok, so here is something I could really use immediate help with. Our car was impounded 13 days ago. The car itself is a P.O.S. so we are just going to sign over the title and reliquish it to the impound lot. Well, in the 13 days that it has been there, the police have gotten 2 search warrants and taken items from the car. We have no idea what they are looking for or what they took.

Friday, my girlfriend paid the fine and got the release papers, ( although they waited till after 5pm to give them to her) so today, she went to sign over the title and get our remaining things out of the car. The impound lot told her that the cops had just been over there going through it yet again, so they didn't want to give her our things untill they spoke with the cops and made sure that it is ok for us to take them.

So my questions are as follows:

1. Can they stop her from getting our things even though she has the release papers?

2. Can the police do multiple searches on our car. And I am asking this question as can they search it once, seeing everything that is in there, just to use what they see as a way to get MORE search warrant. They are trying to build a nonexistant case against me, and they are trying to find anything and everything that they can use to point in my direction even if it has NOTHING to do with what they are after.

What do I do????? Any help is VERY appreciated. she will be returning to the impound lot in about an hour. Thanks for any advice you all can give.

1. Can they stop her from getting our things even though she has the release papers?

A: Exactly what kind of "papers" are these?

2. Can the police do multiple searches on our car.

A: Yes.

A: Exactly what kind of "papers" are these?

The release papers I (the girlfriend) obtained were given to me by the police department, stating I had done everything that was asked of me (proving DL, insurance, etc), as well as that they were finished looking at my car, and I was free to pick up my car and belongings.

That depends on what these release papers are. Apparently, they are concerned that the police might have some kind of evidence hold or seal on the car and they want to double check.

2. Can the police do multiple searches on our car. And I am asking this question as can they search it once, seeing everything that is in there, just to use what they see as a way to get MORE search warrant.
They can search it as many times as they want if they have lawful cause ... and a search warrant is pretty good lawful cause.

I know of a number of cases where the police had obtained multiple warrants - usually based upon new information.

They are trying to build a nonexistant case against me, and they are trying to find anything and everything that they can use to point in my direction even if it has NOTHING to do with what they are after.
Sooo ... what kind of non-existent case do you think they are building??

And, what state is this in? Since state laws might vary, it is important to know what state we are discussing.

- Carl

Sooo ... what kind of non-existent case do you think they are building??

And, what state is this in? Since state laws might vary, it is important to know what state we are discussing.

- Carl[/QUOTE]

Pretty much being in the wrong place at the wrong time. The police told me that I have been under investigation since march. So far, all they have on me is waiting at a coffee shop to purchase a cup of coffee, (I was waiting 5 minutes for them to open, and it had been burglarized a few weeks before), a napkin in my car from the place that had been hit, oh and my finger prints at my old job (which had been burged in march) and my finger prints at a movie rental store that has been burged where I rent all my movies.

They have tried telling both myself and my girlfriend that they have ran my plates in the area of the burgs, at the same time I am at work 45 minutes away with about 30 witnesses ( I work in construction) and many other lies to try and confuse us.

Oh and we live in Idaho, but this is happening in Ontario, Oregon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back