Can I transfer without my parents permission

A

Arvettaaa

Jurisdiction
Alabama
I'm 17 years old I'll be 18 in 9 days and I was planning on moving out when I get 18 and I wondering can I transfer schools without my parents permission because I really don't wanna drop out .

I'm 17 years old I'll be 18 in 9 days and I was planning on moving out when I get 18 and I wondering can I transfer schools without my parents permission because I really don't wanna drop out .
Oh, well, guess what? You can't do squat until you are 19 in Alabama. That's the magic age of majority. Better rethink your plans.

Oh, well, guess what? You can't do squat until you are 19 in Alabama. That's the magic age of majority. Better rethink your plans.

Oh my, those dadgum pesky facts always get in the way of a cool plan!

Curses, foiled again. :D

Of course, if dude simply scooted on over to GA, LA, TX, or several other nearby states, or joined the military, or French Foreign Legion he could show his darn parents, you doggone betcha he could. ;)

If you are in K-12 school, it is extremely unlikely you can register without a parent, but you will have to check with the school system or school where you will be enrolling.

If you are in K-12 school, it is extremely unlikely you can register without a parent, but you will have to check with the school system or school where you will be enrolling.
OP is not going anywhere until he/she/it turns 19. Can't legally sign contracts, open a bank account, etc until that magic age in Bama.

OP is not going anywhere until he/she/it turns 19. Can't legally sign contracts, open a bank account, etc until that magic age in Bama.

You are correct, unless the lad or lass escapes to the safety of a nearby sovereign state.

Should he/she manage to covertly make it to GA, FL, or some other state, majority suddenly swoops down around him/her. LOL :D

You are correct, unless the lad or lass escapes to the safety of a nearby sovereign state.

Should he/she manage to covertly make it to GA, FL, or some other state, majority suddenly swoops down around him/her. LOL :D

Is there anyway to direct message on here, Im in a predicament in need of legal advice but don't want to post due to anonymity. Thanks

And what's going to stop Mom and Dad from swooping in and dragging junior back home?

Once Junior or Junie gets to GA, for example, he is an adult.
No one, that includes mom and pop, can drag him/her anywhere without penalty of law.

The law is a very quirky beast.

The person is a minor only in AL, until majority is reached at age 19.

However, an 18 year old in LA or TX, for example, is a member of the majority.
He or she is an adult.
He or she can set up housekeeping or simply become homeless.
AL would no longer have jurisdiction over an adult residing in TX.
Heck, at age 18, the person could obtain a US Passport, buy passage on tramp steamer to Malaysia, and simply disappear.

I make no recommendations in this matter.

I am simply reciting the law, as it would apply.

Yes, but one would have to establish residency in those other states, no?

Yes, but one would have to establish residency in those other states, no?

Residency isn't important, because at age 18 in most states, one becomes a true adult.
One need not do anything, except become of age.
MS was 21 until recently, when it was changed to 18.
Being a free person at age 18 isn't a crime in most states.
The exceptions are AL, NE, (BOTH 19) & Puerto Rico (21).
It's only a matter of time until those three outliers generate a lawsuit which will end in the Supreme Court settling the true age of majority nationwide.
https://hrpo.wustl.edu/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/5-Determining-Legal-Age-to-Consent.pdf

Back