Can I take action against Paypal for losing $600 of my money?

T

trisbee

Jurisdiction
Oregon
So, I got a refund for $600 that posted to my accounts, I was going to use it towards buying a new laptop during Black Friday but after clearing for an entire week I go back into my account to find that they'd taken the money away and changed its status to pending. When I called them they told me it was a "technical issue" and they could not tell me when it would be fixed. They were also not willing to compensate me or credit any of the fees I incurred through their transactions, finally, they didn't even notify me by email or otherwise this issue was going on. Basically they are telling me we screwed up your money and you have to deal with it. Certainly there is something they are violating? I also have a phone recording of a supervisor admitting this is what happened.

Certainly there is something they are violating?

PayPal has many rules and terms, and conditions related to VOLUNTARILY using their DISSERVICE.

For the life of me, I don't know of any reason that would cause me to ever use PayPal.

That said, not much you can do, read the fine print, mate.

They gotcha by the "old short hairs", and they ain't ever gonna let you go.

If they do disengage their grip on your gonads, you probably won't ever get your money back, and if you do, it'll be when they're ready to disengage.

Lesson here is, stop using their DISSERVICE, as it adds very little useful value to your financial life.

So what happened is that you had a credit go through and then it was changed to "pending." You're not going to like what I'm going to say but it's probably the best you can do. We are probably talking about damages of $100-200 at best. You can always try to sue them in small claims court assuming the terms of service permits (no requirement of arbitration) and it's local to you. That's not an economical use of your time. What are your choices - threaten to damage their reputation by sharing the truth about Paypal online and canceling your account? Sometimes the law doesn't do a great job of addressing small civil wrongs. While I'm completely sympathetic, I don't think you've got much recourse or leverage although you can certain try to see what you can obtain from Paypal customer support.

Back