Can I sue SPRINT for RUNING MY CREDIT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

baggins33

Hi,

I want to sue SPRINT (cell phone company) and would like some thoughts before I start calling lawyers. The case requires some background on my relationship with Sprint over the years. I seriously think this could be a class action lawsuit if I ever saw one as I suspect many thousands out there like me where screwed in such a fashion.

I was a Sprint customer for over 14 years. Around 2006 I considered leaving Sprint for a competitor due to their lack of cutting edge phones. Retention department managed to save my business by offering me a 30% discount (for life). Originally, on my bill for many years it simply said something to the effect of 30% off. This was 30% off the total, taxes, data, etc. I had a good deal. Several years passed and several contracts. With each contract renewed I would get a new phone, and make sure that my 30% discount was still going to be on my bill. Each time I was assured that it would be. I was happy to stay with Sprint. I did notice that at some point around 2011 I started to see my discount labled as 'Employee discount'. I thought this was odd since I was never a Sprint employee. When I asked about this, customer service said that that is how they are classifying my discount now. Umm ok.

So, onto the problem and potential lawsuit at hand: In 2011 I renewed my contract yet again, yadda yadda, got a new phone, was assured my discount would be there and committed to yet another 2 years with Sprint. In July of 2013 I noticed a huge jump in my bill. I was nearly 6 months from the end of my contract. I called to see what had happened. My discount had been removed without warning. I tried to get it back on. Sprint essentially told me to get lost. There was nothing I could do.

Since my bill had now risen as much as 45% with no warning, I viewed this as a breach of contract by Sprint. I no longer wanted to stay with such an inferior service for such a high price. More-so I was outraged that they would not at least honor out their contract with ME. I believe they had a contractual obligation to honor my discounted rate AT LEAST until the end of my contract in November, after all that was the rate we agreed to when I initiated the contract. They simply laughed at me. How could they simply increase my rate on a whim. What if I wasn't ABLE to pay the increase? This was wrong on so many levels. But what about legally?

So, I left sprint a few months early for this breach. They hit me with the ETF (early termination fee) which was pro-rated, but still an extra $100 and change - I wasn't going to pay it. After all, they had broken their contract, and in my opinion I could now leave the company and not be bound to a sudden 45% increase in my bill before the contract end date. My phone which I now had would be unusable on Verizon who I switched to. One high level Sprint manager told me that the discount had been a 'privilege'. Really? I never viewed it this way. It was always presented to me as a deal - a handshake - a clear agreement between two parties, and incentive to stay on board. Certainly, when I renewed nearly 1.5 years earlier the clear expectation was that my rate would not, and could not increase, especially in the middle of my 2 year agreement with them!!

The bill is now on my credit report as an ugly ding. It is my only blemish. I have since paid what I viewed as the past due amount for the 'service' but the early termination fee I will not pay, never. The account is now on my credit report as 'settled'. Still, this is an ugly thing to have on my credit. It's there and it made my credit drop over 100pts.

I did offer Sprint to simply have this completely removed from my credit records and I'd move on. But they refused. I'm now at the point where I want to seek aggressive legal help and sue the f*cking **** out of this pathetic company, for ruining my credit, causing me all types of stress and problems thinking about this garbage for too long, and for breaking the contract - yet expecting me keep the contract until the end.

Do I have a case? If, so, how strong is it? Would anyone be willing to help me take it to these clowns? Or am I the clown here that just got played by Sprint of all lousy companies?

I do now know it appears that Sprint took away these discounts in a sweeping nationwide move last year from many people like me. It would be great to see them have to pay millions over screwing up peoples lives like this if at all possible and not honoring their commitments. Maybe I don't understand 'class action'. But to me this sure seems like one. At least I'd love to sue them personally for ruining my credit, and causing me all this unnecessary stress. I would think that once they broke the contract with me- that frees me from the contract with them.

Thanks for your thoughts and help!

D

(I will say that I do not have the actual contract - or agreement. All it ever was was me agreeing verbally to 2 years at such and such a rate - which IMO makes their ability to toss me to the credit dogs after jacking up my bill even much MORE suspect!

Last edited:
Hope you have deep pockets, because Sprint has deeper ones.

You are free to sue anyone you want to sue.
Companies get sued and threatened daily.
Once the potential plaintiff learns how expensive the lawsuit will be, and the fact that it'll accomplish nothing, the smart ones let it go.

Be smart, pay the doggone past due balances, send a letter to the credit bullies explaining the error and showing proof of payment, and it'll clear your credit up in 7 years.

You ruined your credit by being obstinate. I can understand how irritated you were, but absent any written proof, Sprint could argue you were scamming them.

Sprint let it go, you let it go.
These days other cellular providers will pay those ETFS, another mistake made by YOU.
Lastly, you have no damages. Absent damages, or a request for specific performance, nothing the law can do for you.

Besides, after learning of losing the DISCOUNT, you remained a Sprint customer.
Let it go, Joe.

Last edited:
I did not remain a sprint customer - i left them immediately after learning they changed my bill by upwards of 45%. It seems you have a reading comprehension problem. Sprint did not let anything go. They changed the terms of our agreement mid contract and started charging me 45% more- again, your reading comprehension issue... They then would not let go of charging me the EFT after altering my contract. I really don't see how they could ever argue that this is ME scamming them when their own employees gave me the deep discount to keep me as a customer. Who is letting you comment in this forum anyway with comments like this? Samaritan and scholar? -You keep telling yourself that. 14,000 posts and counting, LOL!!! I have to call a real lawer, this forum is obviously just another forum full of trolls with nothing else to do, no friends or people that give a damn about them angry at the world.

Let me guess, you have an associates degree from the University of Phoenix online? Good day sucka.

Last edited:
I did not remain a sprint customer - i left them immediately after learning they changed my bill by upwards of 45%. It seems you have a reading comprehension problem. Sprint did not let anything go. They changed the terms of our agreement mid contract and started charging me 45% more- again, your reading comprehension issue... They then would not let go of charging me the EFT after altering my contract. I really don't see how they could ever argue that this is ME scamming them when their own employees gave me the deep discount to keep me as a customer. Who is letting you comment in this forum anyway with comments like this? Samaritan and scholar? -You keep telling yourself that. 14,000 posts and counting, LOL!!! I have to call a real lawer, this forum is obviously just another forum full of trolls with nothing else to do, no friends or people that give a damn about them angry at the world. Good day sucka.

Do I have a case? NO

If, so, how strong is it? N/A

Would anyone be willing to help me take it to these clowns? Sure, ask around, pal. I'm sure many lawyers are into FLEECING sheep.

Or am I the clown here that just got played by Sprint of all lousy companies?

SEE MY HUMOROUS, NEVERTHELESS, HONEST RESPONSE BELOW, PAL!!!

Feel better? Great.

In answer to your other query, I'd say its a big YES.
Wait, I'd say its YES, a million times a million, YES.

No worries, friend, you got your money's worth.

Okay, good luck with your lawsuit. I wish you much happiness and success.

Last edited:
did i guess right? you have an associates degree in criminal justice from the University of Phoenix online, right?

did i guess right? you have an associates degree in criminal justice from the University of Phoenix online, right?

Let's just say you played this one the same way you played the Sprint decision. LOL

Once you start down that path, it becomes a habit. You're very good at it, pal, very good. LOL

Played Sprint? WTF are you talking about? I realize that I got played by company that's going under. There's a clear reason they're hemorrhaging customers each day for the last 10 years. I was simply asking if anything could be done against such practices. As a 'super moderator' I would think you would be less antagonistic and try to be more helpful, but once a troll always a troll I suppose.
What made you so pissed at me? Was it the fact that I said the 100$ ding was the only blemish on my credit record, or that I was smart enough to get 30% off my cell phone bill for the last 10+ years?? Or is it just because you're so damn ugly and have no friends?

Played Sprint? WTF are you talking about? I realize that I got played by company that's going under. There's a clear reason they're hemorrhaging customers each day for the last 10 years. I was simply asking if anything could be done against such practices. As a 'super moderator' I would think you would be less antagonistic and try to be more helpful, but once a troll always a troll I suppose.
What made you so pissed at me? Was it the fact that I said the 100$ ding was the only blemish on my credit record, or that I was smart enough to get 30% off my cell phone bill for the last 10+ years?? Or is it just because you're so damn ugly and have no friends?

Me angry? Not at all.
Anyway, good luck, buddy.

ROFLMAO. Son, based on the maturity level you exhibit, I would venture to say Army Judge was on the bench, when you were in the womb.

aww , what's the matter??.... you don't want to try to antagonize a new user anymore than you already have - simply because he had an honest question? Seeing how things are here, maybe the owner of this site should put a crown on your head next so that it will help you over compensate for other, ahem .... 'inadequacies'. Trolls rule the forums, I get it. There's really no room for honest and intelligent discussion with angry little men like you patrolling it's halls. Shame.

ROFLMAO. Son, based on the maturity level you exhibit, I would venture to say Army Judge was on the bench, when you were in the womb.

Wait, you busted me, I'm acting immature. Are you going to tell my mommy on me? Or will you just rally the forum trolls; aka; 'your only friends'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back