Can I sue my supervisor for defamation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1madLady

Can I sue my direct supervisor for defamation or libel? I am suffering loss of employment because of the lies he wrote in my evaluation.

Last edited:
Suing a supervisor for libel or defamation of character while he/she is acting as an agent for the employer is generally difficult. Depending on what he/she wrote on your evaluation, it may not be something worthwhile to pursue, especially if it was purely work related. However, if it consisted of occurrences that transpired out of the work environment, you would have a better shot at this. Since I do not know the specifics of the case, a consultation with an attorney would be your best bet to know for sure.

Every individual on earth is in at least three protected classes. Every single one of us has a race, a gender and a national origin. Whether or not the poster is in a protected class is completely irrelevant.

1madlady, we need additional information. Can you give us some examples of things that were put into your file and how it caused you to lose your employment?

Can I sue my direct supervisor for defamation or libel? I am suffering loss of employment because of the lies he wrote in my evaluation.
Are these knowing and intentional falsehoods? or are these so-called "lies" merely the evaluator's opinion of your actions or capabilities?

Depending on the laws of your state and the rules of your employer and any labor contracts that might apply, you may well have a chance to include a rebuttal in your file.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back