Can I sue my lanlord??

Status
Not open for further replies.

reddog

I am wondering if I can sue my landlord.
We have been paying the rent on time and for several months we have been trying to get her to repair major things. The front deck is one day away from being condemned by the county zoning. Rodent feces is in the air ducts and insulation where all our storage boxes are. Feces literally rains down on us if touched.
We have files complaints with the county and it took a long time for them to finally come out and inspect. They are serving her with the violations within the next day or so.
We have been asking for a couple months the issues be repaired and expressed the health and safety issue as well. There are also a couple electrical fire hazards that have been proven.
We notified her well over 60 days about the issues and NOTHING has been repaired. She answered the consumer affairs complaint 7 weeks ago saying she would get the repairs done within her 30 days she is allowed. BUT NOTHING has been repaired.
I want to break the lease because of her failure to effect repairs as well as sue her for the return of some rent since we paid full price of the rental each month but couldn't use the place 100%. Can't walk on deck (only way into property) can't turn on light in bathroom downstairs in fear of starting a fire because the dryer vent is hooked to it and drips water when we dry a load of laundry. Not to mention the breathing of the rodent feces in the air ducts.

Any suggestions?

We have filed a rent escrow and put the rent in escrow with the courts along with a list of the repairs we have been asking to be done over 60 days ago.

You need to decide what exactly you want to do. Break the lease and find another place to live that doesn't have these repair issues? Or sue...for what, by the way?

Seems like the better choice would be to get out of there.

Gail

I am wondering if I can sue my landlord.
We have been paying the rent on time and for several months we have been trying to get her to repair major things. The front deck is one day away from being condemned by the county zoning. Rodent feces is in the air ducts and insulation where all our storage boxes are. Feces literally rains down on us if touched.
We have files complaints with the county and it took a long time for them to finally come out and inspect. They are serving her with the violations within the next day or so.
We have been asking for a couple months the issues be repaired and expressed the health and safety issue as well. There are also a couple electrical fire hazards that have been proven.
We notified her well over 60 days about the issues and NOTHING has been repaired. She answered the consumer affairs complaint 7 weeks ago saying she would get the repairs done within her 30 days she is allowed. BUT NOTHING has been repaired.
I want to break the lease because of her failure to effect repairs as well as sue her for the return of some rent since we paid full price of the rental each month but couldn't use the place 100%. Can't walk on deck (only way into property) can't turn on light in bathroom downstairs in fear of starting a fire because the dryer vent is hooked to it and drips water when we dry a load of laundry. Not to mention the breathing of the rodent feces in the air ducts.

Any suggestions?

We have filed a rent escrow and put the rent in escrow with the courts along with a list of the repairs we have been asking to be done over 60 days ago.

I agree with Gail..sue for what? Answer with simple "yes" simple "no" do not give explanations to justify anything with "no, I can't do this because" , "or it will cause a fire", " going to be served," blah blah....

1. Has the deck been condemn?
2. Can you wipe off the insulation?
3. Does the light come on from using the switch?
4. Has she been served the violations?
5. Can you clean up the rodent feces when they fall down?

Now look at the questions and your answers. Can you sue? NO

On question 1 - Your answer is your answer for the deduction in rent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back