Can I Sue my client in california?

Jennifer Jarvis

Jurisdiction
California
I recently rented out my bounce house combo to a customer, their dog chewed a hole in my unit and chewed one of the stairs. Client said he would pay for damages but when I presented him with a bill he was upset it was too expensive and said I needed to find someone to do it cheaper. When I refused and said it was being fixed by my person of choice he said he wouldnt pay for it. Can i sue him for this? what is the law in california regarding this? is he responsible for the repairs legally? also can i include the loss of income that comes from that unit not being able to be rented? thanks for your input

Can i sue him for this?

Yes.

what is the law in california regarding this?

Contract law.

is he responsible for the repairs legally?

Yes.

also can i include the loss of income that comes from that unit not being able to be rented?

Yes.

But contract law requires you to mitigate which means you repair it and re-rent it as soon as reasonably possible and you can charge him for only that amount of time.

Can i sue him for this?

Of course you can. Anyone can sue anyone for anything. Did you really suppose the answer to this question might be no?

what is the law in california regarding this?

Same as it is everywhere else: a person must exercise reasonable care in the control of one's pets and with respect to another's property.

is he responsible for the repairs legally?

Nothing in your post suggests otherwise.

also can i include the loss of income that comes from that unit not being able to be rented?

You can ask for it and, as long as you make reasonable efforts to mitigate your damages by having the repairs done in a timely manner, you'll likely get it.

Back