Can I sue my attorney after settlement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tanokai

I had a worker's Comp. case that was labeled as a "Slam dunk" case by several legal advisors, but my attorney's lack of actions forced me to settle for minimal compensation.
My case was already approved by the State of Ca. to be awarded and mandated the company to make biweekly payments to me. After all the case denial tactics and failing to make payments to me did I decide to hire my attorney. My case was riddled with broken law sanctions and reprimands by the judge for the defendant's bad faith practices prior to hiring him as well. Once hired, I continually had to call the adjuster for whereabouts of my bi-weekly check and follow up with my attorney with the progress of the case. I was to receive penalties of 20 % for any late payment, but only received excuses that my check was sent on time, US. mail was to blame from the adjuster and support for that theory from my attorney. He never once requested explanation for the late payment pattern.
Three different attorney's took over the case for the insured during a 2-year delay fiasco, with several continuations requests from the insured. Each new attorney started the case fresh with discovery everytime one took over without any objections or case review requests from my attorney. We finally settled last year in April with my attorney taking his fees from me when it was agreed that the insured was responsible for my fees. Not once was my requests for penalties recognized.
Is this enough for a case against my attorney for mal-practice? My attorney did not do anything in the case except for depos taken and rescheduling settlement conferences. My file and all the other discovery was prepared by myself, with my attorney using my created file as his master file in the case. Also, is there a statute of limitations for seeking a case against my attorney?

I am not clear on just exactly what your lawyer did that hurt you.

So, if you feel there was legal malpractice, hire a legal malpractice attorney to evaluate your case.

Reply to Seniorjudge

I guess you are not familiar with worker's Comp cases. I thought this is where I post a question for legal advise. By law, when a scheduled duisability payment is mandated by the state, the payor is to abide by stipulations or face penalties to be paid. such as in my case, my bi-weekly payment is to arrive within 2-3 days of an agreed it is processed, which is set by the the payor. If it does not arrive on time, a 20% penalty is to be added to the payment. When on worker's Comp., this is your income because you cannot get a job. Thus, if you receive your paycheck and it is consistently late, your employer would pay a penalty to you. Same with workers comp. 75% of my payments arrived late, but I rec'd no penalties for them. When it's your source of income, how can you paay your bills if they are arriving 1-2 weeks late? that's where I thought a lawyer is to intervene. The excuse I was given for the delays were unreasonable. But my attny. did nothing to rectify it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back