Trademark Can I lose my Domain name to competitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmyoptiquest

My jurisdiction is: New Jersey / USA

Hello,

I have a Incorporated company in New Jersey called "XYZ Corp." and have a registered DBA "BlueWidgets.com". I run my business online and my domain name is "BlueWidgets.com", same as my DBA.

There is another company Incorporated in New York called "Blue Widgets Worldwide" and their domain name is "Blue-Widgets.com"

They are not happy the I have the better domain and had called me once saying why I am using "BlueWidgets.com" when my company name is "XYZ Corp"

Can they do anything about this? Am I wrong in anyway ?
They don't have a trademark on "Blue Widgets" so do they have any right calling me?

Should I think about filling for a Trade Mark on "BlueWidgets.com" to protect myself in the future?

I hope someone gets a chance to reply to this.

Thank You in advance.

You should think about filing a trademark but there will already be issues with regard to usage if both of you are in the same area. If you are blue widgets shoes and they are blue widgets construction, these are different industries and 'classes' and should not present a trademark issue. You may want to speak to a trademark attorney to prevent what is called "reverse domain name hijacking" - attempts by larger companies to get away with exactly what you described.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back