Can I legally evict my roommate?

brookebinns

Jurisdiction
Arizona
I am the leaseholder in a townhome apartment with my boyfriend and an acquaintance that I went to high school with. We moved in here a little over a month ago. Yesterday, my landlord called me and told me that she still is not on the lease, and that her application was not ever processed. He also asked if my parents would be okay with covering her in the case of something happening with her paying rent. Of course I told him no, because they do not know her. It is an awkward vibe all of the time, as she does not really talk to us. It's not what we envisioned.

She pays her rent but is extremely messy, and never cleans up after herself. She also uses all of my boyfriend and I's appliances, cookware, television, couches, etc (she brought none of her own stuff), and leaves them all absolutely disgusting. She also brought a dog, that was never added to the lease, and she never cleans up after. My front yard has so much dog poop that I dread going outside and getting a whiff of it.

So basically, I am asking what kind of rights she has, and what kind of rights I have? Also, how long do I have to tie her to leave? My landlord made it clear to me that this is my apartment, and that even when her application is done being processed, he will not add her to the lease until I give consent. I have not idea how to go about this as I don't want to be mean and just tell her to leave, but my boyfriend and I are both extremely unhappy.

I suggest you ask her to leave.
That may be a waste of time, because many of these deadbeats would laugh at you.
Its never a good idea to rent rooms.
You now are living the nightmare, and I'm sure you understand WHY this is a bad idea.

So, you can hand her a letter to quit.
I see that you reside in Maricopa County.
Here is how you evict someone in Maricopa County.
It would be best to start the process now, and make sure you follow it exactly as laid out in teh instructions, as any mistake you must start all over.

Evictions & Small Claims

http://justicecourts.maricopa.gov/Forms/EA_Summons_Complaint.pdf

Phoenix, AZ – Tenant Eviction Process | Kick'em Out Quick®

Housing > Eviction > Evictions

How to Evict an Arizona Residential Tenant

Back