Criminal Records, Expungement Can I expunge a shoplifting arrest

Status
Not open for further replies.

starbucksdude

I was arrested for shoplifting at a local mall by a security guard. I ended up being taken to a police station and was charged. The shoplifting case was dropped. Can I get it expunged?

When you were charged, were fingerprints taken? If you were fingerprinted, there most likely will be a record that will show up on background checks even if case dismissed or dropped. However; if case was dismissed or dropped, you should be able to get record expunged immediately. You would need to talk to a lawyer. After it is expunged, only law enforcement, courts & some government agencies can see record.

If you weren't fingerprinted & case dismissed or dropped, there should be nothing to expunge.

Did you sign anything at the mall? It's possible this could show up on the National Retail Theft Data Base or another data base of member stores.

Last edited:
I was arrested for shoplifting at a local mall by a security guard. I ended up being taken to a police station and was charged. The shoplifting case was dropped. Can I get it expunged?
Some states might allow you to have an arrest record purged if you were not prosecuted. What state are you in?

State is New York per info above thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back