Breaking a Lease Can I do something legally if my landlord goes back on her word?

russharv63

I live in a condominium in the state of Virginia. I rent it with my wife. We have been their for over six years. I had some college students move next to me and my wife in another unit back in August 2014. After a couple of months the noise level from their unit got excessive. Another unit and myself complained to the landlord. They were given several warnings by the landlord. They didn't stop with the excessive noise because they claimed they were not doing anything wrong. The landlord was fed up with them and told them when their 12 month lease is up they would have to go. That was back in January of 2015. Their lease will be up at the end of July 2015. I am worried the landlord might reconsider and let them stay in the unit instead of them leaving as planned. The reason is because they have been very quiet ever since they were told they had to leave after their lease is up. Can I do anything legally against my landlord if she lets the college students stay after their 12 month lease has expired?

" Can I do anything legally against my landlord if she lets the college students stay after their 12 month lease has expired? "

Of course not. You can't "make" the landlord not renew the lease if she wishes to continue having them as tenants and there is nothing you can legally do to the landlord except move out yourself when your lease ends. However, it sounds as if the noise issue has been resolved so what is the problem?

Gail

Back