Can I break my lease?I

baseballlover48

Jurisdiction
North Dakota
I recently rented a house in NY (not North Dakota). There used to be a garage but they remodeled the house to make the garage part of the house. One part of the house is all one floor that has 3 bedrooms, dining and living rooms are run with gas heat. The addition side, which used to be the garage, has the master bedroom on second floor, master bath and living room. When I looked at the house, there was a pellet stove in the living room. The property manager told me that I may have to run the pellet stove once in awhile to keep the living room from getting cold because there was no gas heat in the addition. After moving in, I found out that the master bedroom above the living room has no heat source and no vents to allow heat to rise up. The property manager told me that the heat will rise up from the living room and I would probably have to keep a heater in the bathroom upstairs because it does get cold and that I would have to run the pellet stove 24/7 to keep pipes from freezing. Needless to say, I am very upset that this all was not disclosed when I went to look at this house. It is coming winter and I can not afford to pay for gas and to pay to keep a pellet stove running 24/7. There is no basement in this house so all the pipes run in the celing. Can I break my lease and move out? I have only been here a month but it is coming winter and I am afraid It will be a bad winter.

Can I break my lease and move out?

Maybe, but before you make another BIG mistake, contact the city, county, township building department, or whatever building inspection agency exists in your jurisdiction.

You might start by calling city hall, county government, village government and asking for the agency or department that issues "certificates of occupancy".

If what you observe violates their codes, or the unit you rented has no valid certificate of occupancy the agency, bureau, or department will instruct how to proceed to get out of the lease without blowback.

Back