Can I Become A Master Tenant In Order To Evict Current Co-Tenant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reginaldaign

I live in an month to month apartment in Brooklyn, NY. I am trying to get my co-tenant evicted, but the landlord is hesitant to start proceedings due to the costs involved. I have lived in the apartment for two years, the co-tenant for eight months.

Is there any way for me to legally become the Master Tenant either through signing a lease or other agreement with the landlord, without the co-tenant knowing? I would assume responsibility for the entire rent, so long as the co-tenant would be responsible for paying me directly and I could personally pursue holdover eviction proceedings. Is this a valid way for my co-tenant to become my subtenant, or does my co-tenant have more rights in this situation?

This sounds like a situation where the landlord must take action.

If you must, you can give the landlord your notice to move out. Perhaps that will motivate the landlord to do something about the other tenant if he is causing problems. If not, move along to a better place! :)

I live in an month to month apartment in Brooklyn, NY. I am trying to get my co-tenant evicted, but the landlord is hesitant to start proceedings due to the costs involved. I have lived in the apartment for two years, the co-tenant for eight months.

Is there any way for me to legally become the Master Tenant either through signing a lease or other agreement with the landlord, without the co-tenant knowing? I would assume responsibility for the entire rent, so long as the co-tenant would be responsible for paying me directly and I could personally pursue holdover eviction proceedings. Is this a valid way for my co-tenant to become my subtenant, or does my co-tenant have more rights in this situation?

People in this country have rights.
Truth be told, people often have more rights than responsibilities.

I don't know why you believe you can get a co-tenant evicted?
If you are co-tenants, you are equals.
Under what legal premise do you believe you can magically become a landlord, thereby subjugating a co-tenant to lesser status than yours?

Know this, as you "tinker" with your living arrangement, you also "tinker" with your own possessory interests.

If you are truly co-tenants, you are both jointly and severally liable for the transgressions and obligations of the other!

You appear to headed towards the commission of suicidal eviction.

You are on a slippery slope.

I suggest you seek a level surface on which to stand.

Moose gave you something to consider, get your own place.

If you're an adult, don't live like a child with a roommate.

Marriages fail at a 50% rate annually.

Roommate arrangements fail at a 75% rate (or greater) annually!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back