Can I Be Sued for Verbally Warning Suppliers about a Contractor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Landscape

Hi, I have a contract with a Landscape Company to prepare a design for a property in British Columbia. The company owner signed this contract as my client. One term of this contract was to receive 75% payment upon presentation of the plan. The presentation went well with some adjustments he requested that I make. I agreed to make these changes from the original concept with no extra charge. I gave him a copy of the plan and requested my payment. He said he had not brought payment with him but would get it to me in the next day or two. I agreed. He did meet with me two days later and gave me a post dated cheque. After receiving this payment I completed the plan with the modifications. The day before the final presentation I found out from my bank that the post dated cheque had bounced. I sent him a notice and requested payment in cash the next day. As the plan was now complete (Landscape Plan, Planting Plan, Perspective Drawings) I also sent him an invoice for the full amount of the plan and requested that he pay the full amount in cash when we met. He was supposed to call me 15 minutes prior to our meeting. He did not call that day. I sent him numerous requests and notices over the next week. He agreed to meet me at one point and cancelled. I now believe he has no intention of paying me for this plan. I think my only recourse to get the payment is to go to Small Claims Court or Collection Agency. I've never dealt with this kind of client before. I'm leaning toward Collection Agency. I know what companies he purchases supplies from, can I contact them and let them know how he handles his debts?

Hi, I have a contract with a Landscape Company to prepare a design for a property in British Columbia. The company owner signed this contract as my client. One term of this contract was to receive 75% payment upon presentation of the plan. The presentation went well with some adjustments he requested that I make. I agreed to make these changes from the original concept with no extra charge. I gave him a copy of the plan and requested my payment. He said he had not brought payment with him but would get it to me in the next day or two. I agreed. He did meet with me two days later and gave me a post dated cheque. After receiving this payment I completed the plan with the modifications. The day before the final presentation I found out from my bank that the post dated cheque had bounced. I sent him a notice and requested payment in cash the next day. As the plan was now complete (Landscape Plan, Planting Plan, Perspective Drawings) I also sent him an invoice for the full amount of the plan and requested that he pay the full amount in cash when we met. He was supposed to call me 15 minutes prior to our meeting. He did not call that day. I sent him numerous requests and notices over the next week. He agreed to meet me at one point and cancelled. I now believe he has no intention of paying me for this plan. I think my only recourse to get the payment is to go to Small Claims Court or Collection Agency. I've never dealt with this kind of client before. I'm leaning toward Collection Agency. I know what companies he purchases supplies from, can I contact them and let them know how he handles his debts?

We primarily focus on US law, with a smattering of Australian law.
Therefore, please take my response with a 100 pound bag of rock salt!

You said, "go to Small Claims Court or Collection Agency". Spot on, spot on.

If it were me, I'd simply sell the invoice to a collections agency. They normally discount the item by 40-50% in the US.
But, they do the heavy lifting and take all the risk.
Take the EASY money, avoid the headaches.

If it were me, I'd simply sell the invoice to a collections agency. They normally discount the item by 40-50% in the US.

Be smart, don't say anything about this deadbeat. Why? It will allow him to perhaps, confuse the issue, and compromise your now solid position.

Be smart, don't say anything about this deadbeat. Why? It will allow him to perhaps, confuse the issue, and compromise your now solid position.

Thank you so much. I really appreciate the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back