Can I be given a traffic ticket if there wasn't a valid reason to pull me over?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmsuwec04

I was told I was pulled over today because I didn't have registration on my vehicle (or the plates didn't match their records in the system). My vehicle is legally registered in MN and has current registration tabs. I did not get a new MN DL when I moved here 2 years ago, I figured my valid WI license would be ok. So I was given a ticket for not having a valid MN license. Can they give me a ticket for that when it turns out there wasn't any reason to pull me over to begin with? Somehow, everything came back fine with my vehicle and registration. Should I go to court for the ticket? On a side note - how is possesion of marijuana $125, buy my ticket for not having a MN license is $180?????????

Can they give me a ticket for that when it turns out there wasn't any reason to pull me over to begin with?
They will come up with some reason even if miniscule.

On a side note - how is possesion of marijuana $125, buy my ticket for not having a MN license is $180?????????
??? Come again...

But the only reason was that my car was not properly registered in MN (which it is so it was either a lie or a mistake). And I did not have marijuana in my car - just saw on the list of fines that it's $60 more to not have a license.

But the only reason was that my car was not properly registered in MN (which it is so it was either a lie or a mistake).
What I am saying is, the police will come up with a whole arsenal of reasons why they stopped you. If you dispute one reason, they will have another.

I did not get a new MN DL when I moved here 2 years ago
In Florida you must make the address change within 30 days of moving. I assume the requirement in MN is similar.

Ok, I understand what you are saying - but you are not answering my question. If they don't have a valid reason to pull me over, can they legally issue me a ticket? If I go to court, and they don't come up with a good reason, is the ticket dismissed?

Ok, I understand what you are saying - but you are not answering my question. If they don't have a valid reason to pull me over, can they legally issue me a ticket? If I go to court, and they don't come up with a good reason, is the ticket dismissed?
They HAD a valid reason ... something about the registration plates or tabs was amiss. Even if a mistake on the part of their dispatcher or the computer, that is still reasonable suspicion to detain you while they investigate further.

Subsequent to the investigation if they determined you did not have a valid MN license and you were required to have one (since you had been living there for 2 years) then they can act on that as well.

Go get the valid license and hope the court drops the matter once you have resoled it.

- Carl

The need "probable cause" to pull you over. If there was an issue with your registration sticker/plate then this gives them probable cause.

not sure

I'm no lawyer but I know that cops enter notes during a stop which are brought up on the computer when you go to see a hearing officer. (first step in MN). I've had a ticket thrown out by a hearing officer because it was something unrelated to the stop and couldn't be given because of the reason for the stop. The hearing officer even called down to the precinct and explained to them they should get their rookies in order! I was really surprised, she threw out the original one too just for my hassle.

Relating to your question - I believe that if they stopped you for something which actually wasn't wrong, then all other infractions written from that stop would be illegal. Kind of like illegal search and seizure. Those who say the cops will just make something else up in court must hate cops, it won't happen. The reason for the stop is already in the computer. Of course, it might be something else which you are unaware of. You can subpoena the notes if you go far enough. I attribute this to the same fact that a cop can't pull you over for no reason. If they could just make one up and say, "oh, look at that... your tail light isn't broken after all," but write you a ticket for some other reason inside of your car, or find a dead body in the trunk it would be illegal search and seizure. Won't hold in court.

Just be nice with the hearing office, know the facts, and don't play lawyer and you should do just fine. Go early or you'll have a long wait in Hennepin county anyways. Be there by 740 for the 8am opening.

Relating to your question - I believe that if they stopped you for something which actually wasn't wrong, then all other infractions written from that stop would be illegal.
Sort of. If the officer's stop lacked reasonable suspicion to support a detention, then any resulting evidence (such as the lack of a valid DL) could be tossed. But, in this case, the original poster stated "I didn't have registration on my vehicle (or the plates didn't match their records in the system)" and this would be sufficient to give the officer that reasonable suspicion to detain. Even if it later turned out that the vehicle was validly registered, if the situation was such that a reasonable officer would suspect false registration, the stop will almost certainly be seen as lawful.

- Carl

What I am saying is, the police will come up with a whole arsenal of reasons why they stopped you. If you dispute one reason, they will have another.

In Florida you must make the address change within 30 days of moving. I assume the requirement in MN is similar.

To clarify this statement to the Florida poster:
Mailing address changes must be made within 10 days (FSS 322.19) NOT 30.

In terms of moving to Florida from another area, you are required to obtain Florida tags for your vehicle and a Florida drivers license. There are a few exceptions to this (such as migrant farm workers, military, school). The tag must be switched to Florida within 10 days and 30 days for the drivers license.

Tag: F.S.S. 320.38

Drivers License: F.S.S: 322.031

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back