Roomate Can I be evicted with a child by a roommate if I'm on the lease

Patients

I'm a single dad with a child who lives with me in a city where we have no family. My i guess girlfriend packed my things and out them by a door and said me and my son have to go. We are on the lease.. What will she need to do to make me leave? I pay my portion of the rent.. What are my rights in this situation?

I'm a single dad with a child who lives with me in a city where we have no family. My i guess girlfriend packed my things and out them by a door and said me and my son have to go. We are on the lease.. What will she need to do to make me leave? I pay my portion of the rent.. What are my rights in this situation?

She can ask you to leave, but she has to go to court and prove to a judge that he or she should order your eviction.
If you are on the lease, she won't get too far with an eviction, if you defend the case properly.
She will then have to request the landlord to intervene.
As long as you're current in your rent, most landlords won't even bother trying to evict a person in your position, UNLESS you're a troublemaker.
I see nothing in your post that would make anyone believe you're a troublemaker.
Once she discovers she can't evict you, she's likely to leave you and abandon the lease herself.
That could leave you responsible for paying her portion of the rent, or risk being evicted for non-payment.
This is why roommate situations aren't worth the eventual hassle and troubles they bring.
Heck, husbands and wives in legal marriages fail at 50% rate annually, too.

If I were in your position and my kid could be at risk of homelessness, I'd get busy pronto looking for a small apartment I could afford alone.
I'd also begin discussions with my landlord asking him or her how best I could leave the unit to ensure that peace in the complex isn't disturbed.

Back