Harassment, Stalking, Misconduct Can I be charged with harrassment over sending emails?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlewis

She will not speak to me over the phone about the latest situation with her being reported to Child Protective Services,so I emailed her and told her to call me about it and told that she had a limited amount of time to call me because I was going to contact my lawyer. I just wanted to know what was going on because CPS will not tell me anything. She never called so I emailed her again and told her that I am still waiting. I did this twice. This is over a weeks time. Thats all I was going to do before I just got a lawyer and went to court. I wanted to give her a chance to talk to me instead of dragging all of this out in court. She finally replied to me and told me to leave her alone, stop harassing "us" and contact her attorney. I wrote her back one last time and basically said "haha..you with an attorney? sure! I wasnt harassing all of you. I just wanted a phone call from you but it's too late now." That was it, nothing else after that. (total of 3 emails) Now she has filed harassment charges saying that she feel in danger because of these emails, I am paying people for false info on her(what the hell does that mean?), also harass or cause emotional stress to our children by telling our kids to tell others that she beats them (I never even talk about their mother in front if them). These are actual things she wrote in the report. I'm not worried about these other ridiculous allegations but are these emails I sent her considered threatening? I know she's only filing these charge because she feels desperate and wants to have something against me when I take her to court for custody. She's the one causing our children stress. I would never or have never (even when married) threatened her life. My local county wouldn't even arrest me when they served the papers because they thought it was a bunch of bull. This is the third time she has tried to file false charges against me. The first time she did this she went to one magistrate and he wouldn't do anything so she went to another one. Charges were dismissed because of this. Of course the 1st two were just as stupid so they were thrown out. I had visitation with my children this weekend (what mother who feels threatened would let the father see the kids even if there is an original custody order?) and she tried to tell my sister that the judge said that it was ok for me to come pick up them up. She tried to set me up! Did it again when she dropped them off on Sunday.I just want to know for sure if sending those few emails was life threatening or considered as domestic violence as the ex-parte order says? Do I really need a lawyer?

Well I'm no lawyer but I will tell you what I think in this situation. "Harassment" doesn't have to mean it's life threatening so sending email could be considered harassment although I wouldn't think three emails would constitute harassment. If I were you I would have left well enough alone after the second one... there was no need to reply to her after she told you to leave her alone and stop harassing her. Sure you didn't think it was harassment and you're probably feeling just a tad bitter and/or vindictive but you should have left it alone. Hindsight 20/20. If she's tried to do this to you before and it's basically been laughed out of court I wouldn't think you have much to worry about... HOWEVER... better safe than sorry and I would suggest at least a consultation with a lawyer or legal aide. You don't want anything to interfere with your chances in regards to custody... right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back