can I be charged for no insurance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mean15

My son crashed my car 2 years ago. We had no insurance at the time. It was a non-reportable accident. I drove the car home and garaged it until I could afford to fix it. I am now behind on the payments, and the finance company is threatening repossesion. Car is still not fixed. If it is repo'd, Can my son or I be charged for the lack of insurance? I can no longer afford the payments, can't afford to fix it, and can't sell it because I don't own it. The repo really doesn't bother me, I'm just worried about criminal charges from the lack of insurance. Thank you

My son crashed my car 2 years ago. We had no insurance at the time. It was a non-reportable accident. I drove the car home and garaged it until I could afford to fix it. I am now behind on the payments, and the finance company is threatening repossesion. Car is still not fixed. If it is repo'd, Can my son or I be charged for the lack of insurance? I can no longer afford the payments, can't afford to fix it, and can't sell it because I don't own it. The repo really doesn't bother me, I'm just worried about criminal charges from the lack of insurance. Thank you

If the car is damaged, I'm sure the lender will ask you what happened.
If you don't say anything, they won't have anyone to blame.
Just because someone asks you a question, you have no duty to answer.
You already owe for the car, once they get it back, this most liklely will be over.

Just don't say anything about damages, if they ask.
Keeping your mouth shut (or saying, I don't know anything about that), isn't lying.

thanks, but....

Thank you for your quick reply - but can I be charged by the police for letting the insurance lapse, or for driving it without insurance? There is no way to prove who was driving, but as the registered owner, I was responsible for maintaining insurance. I think the most they can do is suspend the registration, which is already expired.

Thank you for your quick reply - but can I be charged by the police for letting the insurance lapse, or for driving it without insurance? There is no way to prove who was driving, but as the registered owner, I was responsible for maintaining insurance. I think the most they can do is suspend the registration, which is already expired.

You can't get charged when you don't get caught.

If they didn't see you doing it, it didn't happen.

Three Monkeys (Speak no evil, hear no evil, see no evil)

Yea what Army says. The lender can seek a deficiency judgment against you for the value of the car being below what you owe on it, but they weren't there for the lack of insurance and can't do anything criminally to you. Like he said, you didn't get caught. I've seen people strip cars to the bare frame and then tell the lender to come get it. Don't worry, you will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back