Can I avoid a point by going to court for speeding ticket?

army judge

Super Moderator
I got a failure to stop ticket earlier this year, and just a couple months later got a speeding ticket nearby. I paid the first ticket, did traffic school, it was dismissed. Now I'm trying to figure out what to do with this speeding ticket. My options are to pay the ticket, enroll in a payment plan (both of which go down as a guilty plea), request traffic school (Which I don't want to pay for if I know it's not going to help anyway), or to reserve a court date for arraignment. I want to take the ticket to court because I want to see If i can make a plea that will avoid the point on my insurance, and also to try my hand at a longshot possibility of having the case dismissed, as the officer did not mark how he clocked my speed before the traffic stop. The date I have to decide by is the 31st. I don't know what to do. Should I go to court and try my hand? Or just pay the fee and take the point? Is it even possible for the judge to rule to keep the point off of my record (this would be my first one).

Any advice?

You appear, plead NOT guilty, and inquire of the city attorney (prosecutor) about DEFERRED ADJUDICATION.

Yeah, you'll pay the fine, you'll pay some fees, you'll pay some court costs, be given probation (60, maybe 90 days), you avoid any citations, time passes, the court DISMISSES the citation; you're as pure as new born baby.

You, your record, your drivers license remain unsullied, clean as a whistle, if you get the deal; DEFERRED ADJUDICATION!!!!

Back