Arrest, Search, Seizure, Warrant Can his cane be returned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pauldrake

A man with a back hernia attended a summer festival last July (07). He has more than one cane, but the cane he used for support happened to be an old old, with a dull sword inside. An officer at the entrance allowed him to go in but without his cane. The man insisted on having his cane back, refusing to go in without it. He was told to leave. Another officer let the man and his ladyfriend through another entrance. The ladyfriend went off to another area, while the man calmly waited, standing and watching, minding his own business. All of a sudden, a secdurity office4r and the same policeman returned, but kept their distance from the man, saying he was to leave or he would be arrested. The man complied but said he would report this to the police bureau or commisioner. He still wants his cane back, as he was given it as a gift by a friend who is now deceased. The man has other weapons that he never removes from his home, such as nunchakus and mercenary knives,
which he practices within his martial arts. (He owned a stun gun years ago,
but it died out. and he never used it on anyone, it was always hidden at home).
Feedback? New York State. (

I suspect that possession of the sword cane is a violation of NY state law. The police are no going to return an item that is illegal to possess.

If he wants it back, he may need to contact an attorney to see if there is any way to accomplish this ... and he'd better act fast - they might have destroyed the item.

- Carl

I'm a sword collector in the state of Oregon, I have a once too. however it is illegal to take it in public since it is a concealed weapon. Now I also have a 4-1/2 foot solid steel Bathlet with two massive blades, but as long as i don't hide it i can walk around in public with it -yes its not a good idea but technically not illegal. but anytime its hidden its illegal.

The man's cane was an old one, its wood was breaking, the blade was probably easily seen. He intends to buy another one out-state, by mail, if possible, as the man loves martial weapons, illegal or not. It is too bad NY State is so paranoid about weapons! Other staes do not disallow this weapon so much. One would think it would be illegal in all 50 states. Somewhat queer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back