Can he bill me if electrical work was already done and not documented?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dancleg

When we moved in, our lot was supposed to be 100 amp service, but found out after a fire in the meter breaker box (thankfully not attached to house) that it was 50. Since it was the local utility company kindly checking it for me and they didn't have breakers, I went to the hardware store and bought one...but they didn't have 100, so I got (I'm relatively certain 75 amp). The worker put it in and advised me it would need to be changed asap. My husband remembers that when someone FINALLY came to do the wiring upgrade a few months later, they could only go to 75 because that's what the breaker was. We've been having outages, and I had been wondering about it...and just found a letter to the previous landlord advising of this. In my recent letter to the current landlord, I stated that if he didn't have electrician records of this being 100 amp (which I would think he should), then he needs to get it taken care of. When he was here today, he stated that there is no such thing as a 75 amp, but he will send an electrician out to check it. He said if it truly is 100 amp, he's billing us for it. Can he do this? It's not our fault if it was taken care of and he doesn't have the record.

When we moved in, our lot was supposed to be 100 amp service, but found out after a fire in the meter breaker box (thankfully not attached to house) that it was 50. Since it was the local utility company kindly checking it for me and they didn't have breakers, I went to the hardware store and bought one...but they didn't have 100, so I got (I'm relatively certain 75 amp). The worker put it in and advised me it would need to be changed asap. My husband remembers that when someone FINALLY came to do the wiring upgrade a few months later, they could only go to 75 because that's what the breaker was. We've been having outages, and I had been wondering about it...and just found a letter to the previous landlord advising of this. In my recent letter to the current landlord, I stated that if he didn't have electrician records of this being 100 amp (which I would think he should), then he needs to get it taken care of. When he was here today, he stated that there is no such thing as a 75 amp, but he will send an electrician out to check it. He said if it truly is 100 amp, he's billing us for it. Can he do this? It's not our fault if it was taken care of and he doesn't have the record.

What does the rental agreement say about the responsibale party for stuff being fixed? I would'nt think he would be able to since its being brought or checking to make sure that its up to code. Maybe you should bill him for the $ it cost for you to purchase the amp. Good luck.

HIS rules are the biggest reason we were concerned about it. I don't think the rental agreement says anything about responsibility for repairs, but he denies responsibility for injuries...so if we get hurt doing HIS work, we're screwed. I actually thought about just cutting the little wire lock on the box and checking it in the past, but I don't want to get shocked.

NO, deff. do not do cut the lock off, not only can you get killed but if its owned by your local power co. Then trouble to.

Good to know about the lock...glad I didn't do it :). The landlord has cooled off and now there is no mention of billing us....so fingers crossed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back