Can collection agency garnish wages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

munthu

I have a balance from school that I'm paying off. This was not a loan with a bank. It was just balance from tuition. I agreed to pay $300 a month starting last year in October and I have been paying every month since. Around the time that the rebate checks were sent, I received a call from the agency asking me to send this to them. I initially agreed but then found out a bit later that I'll be loosing my job at the end of the year. I instead decided to keep this in my savings and didn't send it. I didn't sign any thing that I was going to send this. I have continued to send the $300 a month. I have now received a letter stating that I chose to ignore paying my balance and that they will investigate and take action including garnish my pay. Can they do that? I have not ignored this. I have been paying the $300 every month.
So now I'm concerned that they will find that I have a savings account (very little money in it). I live in Michigan where it is very hard to find jobs. I need my savings when I loose my job. I'm scared to tell them that I'm about to loose my job. What should I do or tell them? Help!

Last edited:
What should I do or tell them?
Tell them exactly what you posted. Make your case so they can work with you and not against you. Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back