1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Can anyone help

Discussion in 'Drivers License, Vehicle Registration' started by Ciderman41, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Ciderman41

Ciderman41 Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    Europe
    Hi I'm am paying for a car on finance. I registered it in girlfriends name, as she drove it more because I have a work van. We have now separated and she won't give car back...

2. zddoodah

zddoodah Well-Known Member

Despite offering several non-U.S. jurisdictions in the drop-down menu, these boards cover matters of U.S. law only.

That said, if you registered the car in her name, it's her car, so why would you expect her to give it back?

3. txls

txls Well-Known Member

Here in the US the owner's name on the title is what would matter. But things may be different there. Best bet go to a police station with all of your paperwork and ask them what options you have.

4. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

In the USA doing what you did may have gifted her the vehicle.

In the USA one registers and titles a motor vehicle.

The mere act of registering a car (if that is permissible) doesn't alone GIFT someone the car, if you TITLED the car in YOUR name and not hers!

All of what I posted above might mean NOTHING legally in the UK, which is where you reside.