Can an inmates case be reviewed ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tbakerrobles

Hi my fiancée is in a federal prison in Minnesota. He was given a release date of August 2013, this was because of his completion of the program that gave him a year off that he completed in May 2013, due to some in house errors where they were sending him to a half way house in a different district here in California, his release date got pushed to November 25,2013. On October 18,2013 a huge fight broke out and many inmates where taken into The Special Housing unit under investigation. Unfortunately he was one of the inmates taken to the SHU. On Friday he was asked to sign paperwork stating that he was loosing his year and his release date now been changed on the system to February of 2015. There has been a lot of inconsistency with his case manager therefore I'm asking if there is anything we can do legally to help him? Thank you for your time.

This would best be discussed with a criminal lawyer. There would have to be a very good reason to get his case reviewed.

Hi my fiancée is in a federal prison in Minnesota. He was given a release date of August 2013, this was because of his completion of the program that gave him a year off that he completed in May 2013, due to some in house errors where they were sending him to a half way house in a different district here in California, his release date got pushed to November 25,2013. On October 18,2013 a huge fight broke out and many inmates where taken into The Special Housing unit under investigation. Unfortunately he was one of the inmates taken to the SHU. On Friday he was asked to sign paperwork stating that he was loosing his year and his release date now been changed on the system to February of 2015. There has been a lot of inconsistency with his case manager therefore I'm asking if there is anything we can do legally to help him? Thank you for your time.

Generally there is NO good time in federal criminal sentencing.

If you get 12 years, you serve almost 12 years, unlike a state system where 12 years could mean you're out in 6-8 years.

Or, a county bit where you get 90 days, and a day off for every good day.
In some counties, you get 90 days, and you're out in 40-45 days, or LESS.

Federal sentencing guidelines for judges and the Bureau of Prisons is stringent, structured, and tough.
That said, even IF you brought a federal lawsuit (more than likely a federal habeas petition), it could take 3 months to be heard, maybe a tad more depending upon response times allowed the US Attorney or the BoP.
He's likely to be released BEFORE the case is ever heard.
By the way, don't correspond about his case, speak on the phone about his case, or even discuss his case when you visit.
That stuff is monitored.
So, I'd simply tell him to get on the program, straighten out this mess, and wait until February of 2015.
You are wasting your time and money trying to fight Uncle Sam and his band of persecutors, they rarely deal, and even more rarely lose.
Stay out of trouble, because they have the deck stacked, and their judge (he plays for their team, don't be fooled) decides all ties!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back