Can an autobroker advertise used cars in New York?

Can an autobroker advertise used cars in New York?

I am unable to predict what any specific auto-broker is able to do.

Common sense suggests to me that ALMOST anyone possesses the ability and financial resources to advertise almost anything.

I've perused "Craig's List", "FakeBook", and other websites only to see a multitude of advertisements.

Heck, I've seen advertisements inserted in the "comments" section of almost any site that permits users to opine.

Well our close family friend owns an auto broker in New York. An associate of his that helped him register and get his license told him he can't advertise used cars. For the past few years he has been not advertising.

Myself, a marketer thought this was crazy. I asked another autobroker owner and he said the same thing, that autobrokers are unable to advertise used cars in New York...

I can't find anything that suggests they can or cannot after almost 6 hours of digging through auto sales forums, New York vehicle laws, etc... He asked me to help him check, I agreed thinking this was gonna be an easy one. haha... :(

Well our close family friend owns an auto broker in New York. An associate of his that helped him register and get his license told him he can't advertise used cars. For the past few years he has been not advertising.

He can't sell them either, so he'd better not have any on his lot.

The NY broker licensing law is written to allow the purchasing of newly manufactured vehicles on behalf of the broker's client.

2019 New York Laws :: GBS - General Business :: Article 35-B - Automobile Broker Business

The NY dealer licensing law is written to allow a franchised dealer to sell new and used vehicles to the purchaser and allow a used car dealer to sell used cars to the purchaser.

2019 New York Laws :: VAT - Vehicle and Traffic :: Title 4 - Registration of Vehicles :: Article 16 - Registration of Dealers and Transporters :: 415 - Registration of Manufacturers, Dealers, Repairmen and Others.

Your family friend will need a dealer's license in addition to his broker's license in order to advertise/sell used cars.

I can't find anything that suggests they can or cannot after almost 6 hours of digging through auto sales forums, New York vehicle laws, etc... He asked me to help him check, I agreed thinking this was gonna be an easy one. haha...

That's because you don't do this kind of stuff every day like we do. I found those two laws in a matter of minutes.

Wow, thanks! Appreciated greatly.

On a new update, I found out he has a second business thats also registered under a dealer's license. Upon reading what you wrote it raises another question that you can hopefully assist with as well : /.

Since he has a second business with a dealer's license, upon advertising, do we now have to do some sort of joint ad between the businesses (the other and first business being the car broker)?

Thank you!

As long as he is licensed for dealer and broker I don't see any reason in the statutes why he can't use a single ad for both. Though it might be more prudent to keep advertising separate since he's aiming at different marketing demographics. But that's up to him.

So, say a customer in New York and we own another business in New York

Huh? Are you saying that you own a business in New York jointly with a customer?

can we transport the vehicle from our New Jersey inventory to New York and make the sale in New York?

We have no way of knowing what abilities you have.

If you're asking about the legality of what you're proposing, you'll have to provide a much more clear description of the proposed transaction.

Back