Can Alimony be granted after divorce is finalized?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blossom

My divorce decree was entered in August of this year, both parties agreed to no spousal support. My ex-husband lost his job in October. He is now attempting to request alimony. Is there a possibility the court will grant? I am taking care of our 2 children and our unborn child at this time with no financial help from him. He was supposed to have a visit with them in December (we live in another state) but voluntarily gave up that time. He hasn't seen his kids since September.

Very generally, that would be a great big fat "Nope". - in fact, I'm comfortable saying there's a 99.9 change he will not be successful. The divorce is over - if he didn't request spousal support then, he's not going to get it now.

But, I do want to check NM's statutes too.

Last edited:
One other thing. The court cannot and will not award a sum that would make you basically bankruptcy.

And I have a question. Is he paying child support?

When he was earning, was there a large difference in incomes? If yes, on whose side?

Alrighty then! Good news for you!

He cannot reopen the divorce in order to request alimony.
He cannot appeal the order itself.
You both AGREED to no alimony.

If he wanted to reserve the alimony part of your divorce, he should have done something at the time. He didn't. Game over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back