Can a Will and goodbye letters/videos be released digitally?

natalies

Jurisdiction
New York
I would like to create my own Will and would like to to leave some letters and/or videos to say goodbye to those I love in the case of my death. I want to make it as easy as possible for people to have the information they would need without having to search for it or go through an attorney to attain it.

Are there any digital options to have these documents and files released automatically by email to the executor and others of my choosing if my death is declared?

While I certainly hope nothing will happen to me anytime soon, I have been through the probate process, and want to have my assets much better managed and easily accessed by those I love.

I'm not sure what kind of service you are looking for as "someone" would have to inform the service that you did indeed pass. I read about a service that would store your passwords and send you a monthly reminder. If you didn't respond, it would send the list to whomever you designate. I don't know that would work for what you describe, or even that the service still exists. Preferable would be to designate one or two close friends or family members to handle this for you.

I would like to create my own Will and would like to to leave some letters and/or videos to say goodbye to those I love in the case of my death. I want to make it as easy as possible for people to have the information they would need without having to search for it or go through an attorney to attain it.

You can do that with everything but the will.

There are statutory requirements for a will to be valid.

See:

2016 New York Laws :: EPT - Estates, Powers & Trusts :: Article 3 - SUBSTANTIVE LAW OF WILLS

Are there any digital options to have these documents and files released automatically by email to the executor and others of my choosing if my death is declared?

Well...I suppose you could hire some sort of uber-tech savvy person to create some sort of interface that would automatically send e-mails upon your death. However, I'm skeptical (at best) that such technology presently exists.

I don't know what documents or files you're talking about, but you're free to create a will that nominates so-and-so as executor and provide him/her with copies of your will and other relevant documents so that he/she doesn't have to dig around for stuff when you die. People do that all the time.

I have been through the probate process, and want to have my assets much better managed and easily accessed by those I love.

The best thing to do is to retain the services of an estate planning attorney.

I don't know what documents or files you're talking about, but you're free to create a will that nominates so-and-so as executor and provide him/her with copies of your will and other relevant documents so that he/she doesn't have to dig around for stuff when you die. People do that all the time.

My late ex-husband changed his will completely not long before he died and then, rather than sending copies to his executor, he stashed them in his house for my son to have to dig for after his dad died. Mind you, my ex knew he likely didn't have long to live and the easiest & smartest thing would have been to send a copy to his executor, but we decided he must have wanted to leave a puzzle behind. I guess they were lucky that he didn't set it up like a scavenger hunt!

Back