Other Criminal Charges & Offenses Can a someone be brought up on charges from a deceased family member? What Prevents this?

TimmAA

Jurisdiction
US Federal Law
I swear this is in the The Bill of Rights, but I have looked and looked and can not find it. What prevents the law from passing the sins of the father down to the sons? Google only returns opposite biblical type law. I know this can't happen in our legal system so my question is why, what laws prevent parents illegal action from being passed down the generations?

I swear this is in the The Bill of Rights, but I have looked and looked and can not find it. What prevents the law from passing the sins of the father down to the sons? Google only returns opposite biblical type law. I know this can't happen in our legal system so my question is why, what laws prevent parents illegal action from being passed down the generations?

The constitution protects one person from being charged with things he or she didn't do.
Its not written as the Bible suggests, but its common sense.
For instance, you can't be charged because your unsavory brother is charged with bank robbery.
You must commit a specific act, be charged with that act, and all of us are innocent until proven guilty.
The constitution cloaks all of us in the presumption of innocence, even when we have been charged with a crime.

I really like your answer but is there an exact point in the text that I can look at? Maybe a SCOTUS ruling?

The Supremes have never ruled on the matter.
It's constitutionally prohibited.

No one commits crime vicariously or by proxy.

The answer is apparent and intuitive.

Maybe I am not being clear in my question. I am looking for the exact phrase in the Constitution that prohibits it, and the one that prevents SCOTUS from interpreting that section would be helpful too :)

lol why are you getting all emotional about a question? so the answer is there is no precedent other than tradition? it's not written law.. why is it so crazy to ask for a written instruction where power would or would not come from lol BLM is asking for reparations for slave ownership to be charged for their poverty... so.. my question is much deeper then your fuse for the inquisitive...

BLM is asking questions descendants of former slaves have been asking for centuries.

I don't think our political elites will do little more than offer lip service for this country's heinous participation in slavery.

Yet, our "leaders" have no problem sanctimoniously chiding nations today who participate in what we founded during the 17th century.

That said, this nation as paid reparations for incarcerating Japanese-Americans during WWII. We also have given money to nations that attacked us, so they might rebuild what we destroyed in WWI & WWII.

We have also broken every treaty we signed with Native-Americans, while attempts were made to annihilate their tribes. Today we give them sovereign state status, on lands where we relocated them, or allowed them to reclaim. We've also given them compensation, and continue to fund them today.

African-Americans do have a point. How can this nation resolve it? We might start by editing the course language used in our constitution towards their males, as well as Native-American males. (3/5 of a "white" for legislative apportionment). Should we proceed along that route, we might wish to address our slight of females of all races.

As to the issue of reparations for slavery, at one time the argument was how we identify the descendants of slaves. Today DNA can resolve that. Our greater issue seems to be where we'd get the money, not who deserves to receive the reparations.

At any rate, a national dialogue should be convened to at least debate whether we owe the descendants of slaves an apology. Slavery is our nation's great shame, far more repulsive in my view than anything the Nazis did.

lol why are you getting all emotional about a question? so the answer is there is no precedent other than tradition? it's not written law.. why is it so crazy to ask for a written instruction where power would or would not come from lol BLM is asking for reparations for slave ownership to be charged for their poverty... so.. my question is much deeper then your fuse for the inquisitive...

Descendants of slaves are not going to get reparations. There's no way our government could afford it.

Americans of Japanese descent got reparations for being locked up in WWII because most of them were still alive when it was paid out.

If we are going to give reparations to the descendants of African slaves then we better also dole out reparations to the descendants of Caucasian slaves. Africans weren't the only ones used as slave labor.

This sounds like a troll question.

Back