Medical Malpractice Can a prolonged waiting time be malpractice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghively

In October, 2009, my uncle woke up not feeling well. He was experiencing difficulty walking and felt weak. He called his brother (my dad), who took him immediately to his doctor. They explained the symptoms to the office staff. They were told to wait in the waiting room to see the doctor. 1.5 hours later, the doctor saw them. The doctor immediately recognized that my uncle was having a stroke and sent for an ambulance to take him to the hospital.
The doctors at the hospital tell us that there is a "golden hour" where they can take actions to reverse or halt the damage of the stroke.
At the first doctor's office (where he was told to wait) he walked in under his own power, was coherent, and able to communicate. By the time the doctor actually saw him, he was no longer able to walk (barely able to sit) and could no longer speak. He spent that "golden hour" waiting in the waiting room.

My question is this: Since his symptoms were explained to the office staff when they entered the doctor's office, is the office/doctor at all liable for the increased damage he suffered waiting so long to be seen?

He is able to talk now, after a lot of therapy. However, he is not able to use his left side at all, therefore he cannot walk or take care of himself.

Not likely.
If his symptoms weren't such that anyone was jumping up and down and demanding immediate attention, why would the staff be blamed for missing those subtle signs that he came in with? Clearly, if your family had recognized it as mor of an emergency then he would have been taken to the ER rather than the family doctor.
You would have more of a complaint if he showed up unable to walk, slurred speech, etc... and then they made him wait over an hour.
These things happen. It is nobody's fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back