Can a job not hire me in California if I test positive for THC?

Anna Loboda

Jurisdiction
California
Weed is legal in California, but could jobs legally discriminate against me for that? If it's a large corporation. Most people smoke weed in California.

Weed is legal in California, but could jobs legally discriminate against me for that? If it's a large corporation. Most people smoke weed in California.

While weed is legal at the state level in California, an employee is not protected against discrimination by an employer because of marijuana use. A bill last year that would have protected employees who have medical marijuana cards stalled in the legislature and did not pass. So right now an employer could refuse to hire you or could fire you for marijuana use.

While weed use is up, it is not the case that "most people" in California smoke weed. CBS news reported that 13% of all Californians regularly use weed. A lot more of course have tried it at least once, but a lot of people who try don't become regular weed smokers. If you smoke weed you may hang out with others who smoke and from that get a perception that most people do smoke it. Bear in mind that weed use is most common among young adults living in urban areas like SF or LA. Older people, kids, and those in more rural areas use less of it.

Back