Can a hoa start a new HOA with a new name and still have a valid contract with a homeowner

Jeffro502

Jurisdiction
Kentucky
Our hoa was found to not be in good standing with the state and disbandedfor 3 years but instead of making it in good standing a member of the board started a new hoa without 3/4 of the neighborhoods vote like the bylaws required. Now they have doubled our hoa dues and are demanding payment. Do I still have a contract with them if the name is different than the papers I signed when I bought my house

Our hoa was found to not be in good standing with the state and disbandedfor 3 years but instead of making it in good standing a member of the board started a new hoa without 3/4 of the neighborhoods vote like the bylaws required. Now they have doubled our hoa dues and are demanding payment. Do I still have a contract with them if the name is different than the papers I signed when I bought my house

Probably not, but you should seek genuine legal advice from a licensed attorney in KY.

HOAs don't typically have any sort of contract with the homeowner.

The nature of any enforceable HOA is usually laid out in the documents of the subdivision plan. It is quite possible a new or revived HOA could be established after a period of dormancy.

As AJ says, you'll need an attorney to go over the land records to see if this new organization could be binding on you.

Back