Can a foster parent accept money from a foster child (and MORE!)

U

Unsure Cousin

Jurisdiction
Pennsylvania
Is a foster parent allowed to accept money from a foster child under the premise that the borrowed money will be repaid in full? What if this is never repaid, can the child take legal action to fight for their money which is- essentially stolen?

Only asking because my cousin is currently going thru a situation where she: used money from a settlement to help her foster parents (god parents) pay various bills, mortgage, etc. However now it's coming to light that she's 30k in the hole, will likely not be repaid and money is still being taking from her, and is being threatened with being kicked out. The Godmother's has her name on the account so I don't believe my cousin is seeing any part of that 30k. On top of that, the foster child is supposed to be supplemented with a part of the foster parents allowance. My cousin hasn't seen a dime of that money, and has supported herself completely from part-time jobs.

Legally what can be done, i'm so angry that it's becoming apparent my cousin was getting taken advantage of . But it's looking like nothing legally will work, any advice is welcome!

How old is your cousin?
How long has she lived with these foster parents?
Was she placed in this home pursuant to a court order?
Does she (your cousin) have a caseworker or social worker?
How long ago did this alleged theft occur?

How old are you?

How old is your cousin?
How long has she lived with these foster parents?
Was she placed in this home pursuant to a court order?
Does she (your cousin) have a caseworker or social worker?
How long ago did this alleged theft occur?

How old are you?
Thanks for replying -

My cousin is 20 and i'm the same age.
She has lived with these foster parents for three years.
No she was not.
She does have a case worker.
The theft was gradually but began two years ago. The last major withdrawal would have been 6 months ago. Lately it's been apparent no money will find its way back to my cousin...

Thanks for replying -

My cousin is 20 and i'm the same age.
She has lived with these foster parents for three years.
No she was not.
She does have a case worker.
The theft was gradually but began two years ago. The last major withdrawal would have been 6 months ago. Lately it's been apparent no money will find its way back to my cousin...

It might be possible to sue the alleged thieves for the purloined funds.
More than likely the culprits are deadbeats, otherwise no thefts would have occurred.

Therefore, I suggest your cousin do three things:

1 - Take your cousin to the local police or sheriff station. Report the crime. Follow the instructions given by the police.

2 - Help your cousin move out of that "den of thieves", ASAP.

3 - Discuss the thefts with her social worker. See if the social worker can help her get emergency lodging until she can secure her own place to live.

Unfortunately, she's never going to the money that was stolen. More importantly, she's lost someone she valued, as well as her trust in people. Help her as she tries to recover.

Back