Can a credit card company draft your bank account without authorization?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thalia

I have a credit card with a credit union. I usually pay my monthly payments via a check by mail. Last month, I was concerned about being late, so I called them and paid by check over the phone.

This month, I knew I was going to be late again due to an unexpected very expensive vehicle repair. I called the credit union and let them know I was going to be a few days late paying, and that I was going to call to pay over the phone on May 30 (when I get paid).

Well...I checked my bank account online tonight (different financial institution than the one my credit card is with), and there was a check for $360 cashed yesterday. I knew I didn't write any checks for that amount, so I viewed the check. It was written to the credit union (looks like a computer-generated check of some sort). The check had my former last name on it (which is still on the credit card) and was numbered "12345". Of course, there was no signature on it.

I did NOT authorize this payment. I called on May 23 and told them I was going to call to pay on May 30. They were fine with that.

Are they allowed to do this? Just because I authorized it one time, does it mean they can just take money out of my account whenever they want to?

Have you tried to contact their customer service to find out why they proceeded with the withdrawal of funds without your authorization? Ask them as well what you have to do in order to suspend the automatic deductions from your account in the future. Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back