Can a company release your private data if you are no longer an active user with them?

ddflower

Jurisdiction
California
I emailed their team and they were quite vague on this. I deleted my account with a company since I no longer needed their services and this occurred a month and a half ago in mid January. Could they still be able to release my private data to any third party (ie, email address, IP address, payment history)? Can this data even be retained by them since I am no longer their customer?

I emailed their team and they were quite vague on this. I deleted my account with a company since I no longer needed their services and this occurred a month and a half ago in mid January. Could they still be able to release my private data to any third party (ie, email address, IP address, payment history)? Can this data even be retained by them since I am no longer their customer?

That's going to depend on what kind of business it is, what your relationship with the company was, and what kind of contract, if any, you had with the company.

Why are you concerned about this?

Yes.

Businesses routinely keep customer information for years. It would be a rare exception to find one that doesn't.

The company in question is known for experiencing data breaches in the past, so I am concerned about sensitive data being potentially released if it is still in their system.

I emailed their team

Whose team?

and they were quite vague on this.

Quite vague about what?

I deleted my account with a company since I no longer needed their services and this occurred a month and a half ago in mid January.

What sort of account? What does "this" refer to in this sentence?

Could they still be able to release my private data to any third party (ie, email address, IP address, payment history)?

Depends on the terms of service or other contract that you agreed to when you became affiliated with this company.

Can this data even be retained by them since I am no longer their customer?

Of course it can. If your intent was to ask if it would be legal, the answer depends on the terms of service or other contract between you and the company.

The company in question is known for experiencing data breaches in the past, so I am concerned about sensitive data being potentially released if it is still in their system.

Then why did you provide this information and become involved with this company in the first place.

Back