Can a CID agent request and execute a search warrant on someone that has already been separated?

Colten Cartwell

Jurisdiction
US Federal Law
My wife accused me of sex crimes while I was in the Army. My unit quickly chaptered me before CID even finished its investigation. After being separated and living off base, a CID agent requested and executed a search warrant to search my digital devices. Did he have the authority to do so? Shouldn't this have been turned over to civilian authorities since I'm now a civilian?

For the record, I have been exonerated. But I feel my civil rights were violated by this.

My wife accused me of sex crimes while I was in the Army. My unit quickly chaptered me before CID even finished its investigation. After being separated and living off base, a CID agent requested and executed a search warrant to search my digital devices. Did he have the authority to do so?

Yes. The alleged crime took place while you were still in the military. The fact that you were separated after the alleged crime would not change the jurisdiction that the military would have. Furthermore, the legal problem would not be that the CID agent asked for the warrant, but rather whether the judge/magistrate should have granted the search warrant request. And that's something for which you generally cannot sue. Finally, to win damages against the federal government for this, you'd need to prove monetary damages suffered by the search. You've not mentioned any such damages. What harm resulted from this?

Also, how long ago did this occur?

Back