Came on visiting visa & Got married

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bond007

Jurisdiction
Maryland
Came in with visiting visa. Got married a month ago. Visa is expected to expire in 2 weeks. My wife and I have decided that I will remain here. She is a US citizen. What are the next steps in securing a Greencard and how does the visa expiry affect my chances of getting a greencard?

Came in with visiting visa. Got married a month ago. Visa is expected to expire in 2 weeks. My wife and I have decided that I will remain here. She is a US citizen. What are the next steps in securing a Greencard and how does the visa expiry affect my chances of getting a greencard?

If you overstay your Visitor's Visa, even though you married a citizen of the US, you will probably never get a Green Card.

If you eventually get a Green Card, overstaying your Visa will delay the Green Card for years.

Your marriage means nothing to US Immigration officials, insofar as you speeding up the process of obtaining a Green Card.

Marriage to a citizen of the USA confers no special immigration status on you, nor does it expedite your ability to receive a G C.

Overstaying a visa will inhibit and delay, perhaps eliminate, your ability to obtain a Green Card.

You should speak with an immigration lawyer ASAP to confirm what you've read.

Obtaining a G C also depends upon which country issued your passport and your citizenship.

You might wish to discuss with your spouse her/his ability to emigrate to your COUNTRY to live where you can apply for LEGAL admission to the US and a G C.

It is easier for your spouse to go back with you, or you can go back alone, than simply overstaying your Visa to apply for lawful admission to the USA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back