1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

    Dismiss Notice

Came on visiting visa & Got married

Discussion in 'Family Immigration, Fiancee & Marriage Visa' started by Bond007, May 7, 2018.

  1. Bond007

    Bond007 Law Topic Starter New Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    Came in with visiting visa. Got married a month ago. Visa is expected to expire in 2 weeks. My wife and I have decided that I will remain here. She is a US citizen. What are the next steps in securing a Greencard and how does the visa expiry affect my chances of getting a greencard?
  2. army judge

    army judge Super Moderator

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:

    If you overstay your Visitor's Visa, even though you married a citizen of the US, you will probably never get a Green Card.

    If you eventually get a Green Card, overstaying your Visa will delay the Green Card for years.

    Your marriage means nothing to US Immigration officials, insofar as you speeding up the process of obtaining a Green Card.

    Marriage to a citizen of the USA confers no special immigration status on you, nor does it expedite your ability to receive a G C.

    Overstaying a visa will inhibit and delay, perhaps eliminate, your ability to obtain a Green Card.

    You should speak with an immigration lawyer ASAP to confirm what you've read.

    Obtaining a G C also depends upon which country issued your passport and your citizenship.

    You might wish to discuss with your spouse her/his ability to emigrate to your COUNTRY to live where you can apply for LEGAL admission to the US and a G C.

    It is easier for your spouse to go back with you, or you can go back alone, than simply overstaying your Visa to apply for lawful admission to the USA.

Share This Page