Cam previous employer sue me for telling the truth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lapcojay

My previous employer had planned to lay off most of my department this fall. I was involved in meetings discussing when the dept. would go through the changes, as I was one of the ones to be kept on. I left under contentious circumstances eight months ago. Recently a coworker contacted me and asked me to tell them the truth about what was going on in the dept. I told her in private what I was told in the meetings prior to my leaving the company. She then told everyone else in the dept. It was not my intention for this information to go any further than the employee I told. Can my previous employer sue me for telling the truth?

Unfortunately anyone can sue anyone else for just about anything. The real question is whether or not your ex-employer has a valid suit against you.

Assuming that there was no enforceable confidentiality agreement between you, telling the truth is generally a defense to any defamation suit.

If you're served though, you'll need an attorney - pronto. Because even if the case is without merit you can quickly become completely buried by legal fees defending such a suit.

If A tells B something, and only B hears it, B would have great difficulty proving A told B anything, if A clammed up and admitted to nothing.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back