California Quit Claim Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

triciaquilts

Advice needed here. I moved to California 10 years ago to escape an abusive spouse. My best friend helped me buy a house, I pay all the payments on the house, I live in the house, but I didn't want the hubby getting 1/2 of my house in our divorce. Divorce is final now and my best friend is ready to get the house in my name. So....I have some questions.
1.) This is a mobile home in a mobile home community, no land involved. Will a quit claim deed be sufficient? I know that if there was land involved I need a warranty deed in California.
2.) My ex managed to totally tank my credit before he agreed to the divorce so with that in mind and the difficulty in getting a new load regardless....do I have to let the mortgage company know about the quit claim? They know that I pay all of the payments and that the house is mine in all but name.....it is just that little step that I am afraid they will freak out over.
3.) If a quit claim is what I need and I have it signed and notarized, do I need to file it with the county clerk's office immediately or can I simply hold it in a safe deposit box till I am ready to file it? (Such as in 7 years when the house is paid off)

Thanks for any help on this one!

triciaquilts

Normally mobile homes are transferred by title rather than by deed and the mortgage company probably is holding the title. What you probably need is a contract for sale that you can record.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back