CA Laws

Youngone68

Jurisdiction
California
I live in central California in a mid sized city. I have a fear that I drive and hit somebody without knowing. I drive back in half an hour and there are no Emergency vehicles. First off if this is the case how likely is it do you think I'm ok? Also if I hit someone driving let's say 30-40 mph plus and hit someone how likely is it (god forbid) I hit someone and I'm able to see the person on my hood? Moving that fast means if I strike someone the person will stay in my hood.

I think you need to find a therapist to discuss your fears with rather than a bunch of anonymous interwebs strangers.

. I have a fear that I drive and hit somebody without knowing.

I am here to help you solve your problem.

I know how to make sure you never hurt yourself driving a motor vehicle, or harm another human being.

Wait, you're going to love my idea.

I have great ideas.

When I was 6 years old, my mother would tell me, "Son, you're so smart for a 6 year old. You have great ideas."

See, there's my proof my ideas are great, my mom told me so!

I'm sorry, I get sidetracked quite a bit, ever since the "accident".

Hey, my "accident" isn't your problem.

Besides, I already did 8 years in prison for it, so, ummm, yeah, okay.

Here's what you do, buddy.

You go to your nearest DMV office and turn your drivers license in and exchange it for a state ID card.

You sell your car, maybe you give it away, or just park it.

You take the plates off of the car, if you can't sell it.

Once you sell it, you cancel your insurance.

See, my idea is gonna save you lots of money, too.

Yeah, its gonna be smooth sailing for you once you accomplish these very simple things.

So, you're thinking, my ideas aren't that smart, because I didn't tell you how to get to work, the store, wherever.

I gotcha, buddy, you walk.

You ain't never ever gonna kill nobody if you're walking.

You could take the bus, use Uber, or mooch rides from your friends.

Hey, you might even buy yourself a bicycle, they're real safe.

I'm glad I could help you ease your mind.

Stay safe out there, pal, and save all that money when you sell that dangerous car.

You are most definitely NOT ok.

So, umm, like okay, you be thinking if he sold the car, gave up the DL, got a state ID, things would get better?

Walking is healthy.

I've never heard of a person walking kill another person.

Yeah, like, umm, okay, a car could go rogue, like maybe, and umm, kill a walking person.

That ain't gonna happen as often as a driver getting buzzed and smashing up another car, is it?

I have a fear that I drive and hit somebody

I can solve that fear without having you give up your car. First thing tomorrow go to your insurance agent and increase the liability limit on your auto policy to $500,000. Along with that buy an umbrella policy that adds another $1,000,000 to your liability insurance. Then you won't have to worry about hitting anybody because your insurance will take care of it.

On the other hand if your mid-sized city is populated by Hollywood celebrities you might want to add $10,000,000 because if you hit Tom Cruise or Robert Downey Jr, the claim is gonna get expensive.

I can solve that fear without having you give up your car. First thing tomorrow go to your insurance agent and increase the liability limit on your auto policy to $500,000. Along with that buy an umbrella policy that adds another $1,000,000 to your liability insurance. Then you won't have to worry about hitting anybody because your insurance will take care of it.

On the other hand if your mid-sized city is populated by Hollywood celebrities you might want to add $10,000,000 because if you hit Tom Cruise or Robert Downey Jr, the claim is gonna get expensive.

That could work, but if you is nerviss likes me is, well when I, umm, yeah, okay, had my "accident", see, yeah, umm, okay, well, gulp, none of that would have did helped me, see.

Yeah, but, err, ahh, umm, yeah, okay, so, well, you could get high costing insurance, but, umm, yeah, err, arrgh matey, is gonna still be saving all that lovely moola?

Hmm, guess not, is you, huh, err, ahhh, umm, arghh matey...

I have a fear that I drive and hit somebody without knowing. I drive back in half an hour and there are no Emergency vehicles. First off if this is the case how likely is it do you think I'm ok?

I think there's a 68.2319% chance that you're "ok."

Seriously, what exactly are you talking about? Why would you think that you "hit somebody without knowing"?

Also if I hit someone driving let's say 30-40 mph plus and hit someone how likely is it (god forbid) I hit someone and I'm able to see the person on my hood?

Huh?

Hello. I am wondering: I was told unless by my city's traffic division if a non officer records me running a red light, illegal turn, or speeding, then shows an officer, that I can't get in trouble. I'm not sure but IF I ran a red light, it looked like my vehicle was past the intersection.

Also, I want to be as anonymous as possible, but I have called the traffic division and fortunately they said they no longer use red light cameras in my city. Now this is what I do worst case: I have taken pictures of red light camera signs required to be posted within 200 feet. I also take pictures of areas where there is a red light violation sign but no camera. If an officer didn't record me, how would these defenses hold in court?

Also, if I don't hurt anyone, but run a red light, am I still able to be charged with reckless driving??

Hello. I am wondering: I was told unless by my city's traffic division if a non officer records me running a red light, illegal turn, or speeding, then shows an officer, that I can't get in trouble. I'm not sure but IF I ran a red light, it looked like my vehicle was past the intersection.

Also, I want to be as anonymous as possible, but I have called the traffic division and fortunately they said they no longer use red light cameras in my city. Now this is what I do worst case: I have taken pictures of red light camera signs required to be posted within 200 feet. I also take pictures of areas where there is a red light violation sign but no camera. If an officer didn't record me, how would these defenses hold in court?

Also, if I don't hurt anyone, but run a red light, am I still able to be charged with reckless driving??
Who told you this?

No one can say definitively what would happen to you IF you broke any existing traffic law.

My usual response to hypotheticals such as the one you posed is simply this:

Always OBEY ALL of their laws.

If someone breaks one of their laws, THEY become aggravated and will prosecute the offender!

If you OBEY all of their laws, ALL of the time, you won't run afoul of their justice system.

Back