By-Laws Violation?

Shorty1

Jurisdiction
Idaho
The Road Association recently sent me a $500 invoice for road maintenance. My request to see a copy of the bid was denied because the board members are all volunteers and they don't have time.

The By-Laws of a Road Association (acting as an Idaho General Business Corporation (D)) read:

"Books and Records. All books and records of the Corporation may be inspected by any member or member's agent or attorney for any proper purpose at any reasonable time."

I have sent three email requests for an appointment with no reply.

Have the board members breached their fiduciary duty or contract?

Have the board members breached their fiduciary duty or contract?

No matter what some strangers tells you, the board doesn't care what you tell them, so why do you think the board would care what an internet dummy says?

I can tell you that some relationships are toxic, and will never work.

You appear to be entangled in such a relationship.

Owning property is challenge enough without owning property under the oppressive thumb of an HOA or any other cooperatively funded and administered arrangement.

No matter what some strangers tells you, the board doesn't care what you tell them, so why do you think the board would care what an internet dummy says?

Owning property is challenge enough without owning property under the oppressive thumb of an HOA or any other cooperatively funded and administered arrangement.

So I understand your answer to mean that no civil codes are being violated?

My previous reply seems to have vanished!

Again, are you saying no civil code/s have been violated and I have no right to see what I am paying for?

My previous reply seems to have vanished!

Again, are you saying no civil code/s have been violated and I have no right to see what I am paying for?

The words I typed intimated nothing of the sort.

Whatever one, or even a dozen Internet dummies (of which I am one) reveal to you, which you in turn relay to the POWERFUL board members will simply make the POWERFUL board members chuckle, guffaw, grin, chortle, and snort with sublime delight.

Once the laugh party ends, the POWERFUL board will say, "We don't care what "pepper", "salty", "cornbread", or any of those Internet dummies say.

We're the all POWERFUL board.

Pay us in full, or we'll make you cry!!!

The words I typed intimated nothing of the sort.

Whatever one, or even a dozen Internet dummies (of which I am one) reveal to you, which you in turn relay to the POWERFUL board members will simply make the POWERFUL board members chuckle, guffaw, grin, chortle, and snort with sublime delight.

Once the laugh party ends, the POWERFUL board will say, "We don't care what "pepper", "salty", "cornbread", or any of those Internet dummies say.

We're the all POWERFUL board.

Pay us in full, or we'll make you cry!!!

You are as helpful as a rubber crutch.

What you're being told is the same thing I told you on the other board. Pay the $500 for now. If you wish to effect change, then get yourself on to the board. If you feel that you can't get yourself on to the board, then maybe it's time to move...

Breach of fiduciary duty? No. You're free to sue if you want to see the document and the folks who have it won't give it to you. It will cost all of you much more than $500.

You are as helpful as a rubber crutch.
This made absolutely no sense to me the first three times I read it.

Now that I see it says "crutch" and not "crotch", it makes much more sense.

Have you requested to attend any of the HOA board meetings? Have you gone to the public annual HOA meeting any time say the last year or two?

Something as large as a $500 road assessment would probably have been discussed at multiple HOA meetings and probably at an annual meeting. This does assume your by-laws require an annual meeting.

Too many people who live in HOAs fail to participate but then get irate AFTER decisions are made! Yes, there are bad Boards, but there are also Boards that care and communicate but homeowners ignore it until something hurts. Homeowners also fail to read their bylaws....and to realize those on the board are most likely unpaid volunteers....

Back