Buying used car from owner with a notarized copy of a title

krylya

Jurisdiction
New Jersey
I intend to buy used car from former coworker. I reside in NJ. He is/was the owner of the car.

He resides in NY. The car was registered in NY. He only has a notarized copy of a title. Original title is lost. Obtaining a replacement title could take up to 90 days, according to NY DMV. There is time restriction for me to buy, since the car was sent to the auction about 3 weeks ago. We can monitor the car online, - not ready for sale. The car was at police 'pond' for 3 years. He will officially pay for a Release of the car from police. He can not get car insurance in his current situation, and as such, can not register the car in his name.

I have valid NJ driver license and insurance. We don't have any place to store the car, so I need all paperwork to park on the street.

I would appreciate your opinion, on correct way to buy this car from him.

Dont proceed until an official title is available and signed over to you upon payment.

The notarized copy is a worthless piece of paper.

I would appreciate your opinion, on correct way to buy this car from him.

You're walking along a path. You see an open bear trap in front of you. You're thinking "Should I test it and maybe it won't tear my foot off."

There is only ONE correct way to buy the car. Clear original title and car sitting in front of you for inspection. Period.

Anything else is sheer stupidity and when it blows up in your face you'll be back here whining "What are my rights."

Back away.

Back