1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Buying/Leasing portion of neighbor's land for parking space

Discussion in 'Easements & Right of Way Law' started by Farfel, Apr 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Farfel

Farfel Law Topic Starter New Member

I own a home in Brooklyn, NY and I negotiated with my next door neighbor to purchase/lease a piece of his property that adjoins mine for use as a carport. I was told that the best way to do this is either get a long term lease i.e. a 99 year lease (which I would be paying upfront for), or get an easement on the property that will allow me to use the property as a parking space. Which option makes more sense for my situation? Would an easement give me exclusive rights to park on that piece of land? What are the advantages/disadvantages of getting a long-term lease VS. an easment? The seller has indicated that he would go along with either option.

2. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

You BOTH should speak to an attorney (your OWN attorney) before doing anything.
    What you propose require MORE than a form.
    Hint: take a look at the deed the other person allegedly holds, and do a title search.
    Again, each of you requires legal advice from a real estate lawyer.

3. Betty3

Betty3 Super Moderator

Agree, you shouldn't enter into any type of "agreement" such as this without speaking to a real estate lawyer first.